65 bug converted to 12 volt problems

Old August 4th 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
john

Default 65 bug converted to 12 volt problems

Anyone else having my problems? I converted my 65 bug to 12 volt years
ago and left the 6 volt starter in. About 7 years ago, I had to have my
flywheel replaced because the 6 volt starter had worn down the flywheel
teeth and it wouldn't always catch.
Now it's doing the same thing again. The starter doesn't engage the
flywheel the first time, often taking about 6-12 times before it
finally does.
What is the simpliest cure? Replace the flywheel again? Replacing the 6
volt starter with a 12 volt starter seems like a lot of work plus you
have to replace the starter too.
Any ideas? Thanks and could you answer me at my e-mail:
? Thanks, John(Napa, CA)

Old August 4th 06, 06:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
zigford

john wrote:

> Anyone else having my problems? I converted my 65 bug to 12 volt years
> ago and left the 6 volt starter in. About 7 years ago, I had to have my
> flywheel replaced because the 6 volt starter had worn down the flywheel
> teeth and it wouldn't always catch.
> Now it's doing the same thing again. The starter doesn't engage the
> flywheel the first time, often taking about 6-12 times before it
> finally does.
> What is the simpliest cure? Replace the flywheel again? Replacing the 6
> volt starter with a 12 volt starter seems like a lot of work plus you
> have to replace the starter too.
> Any ideas? Thanks and could you answer me at my e-mail:
> ? Thanks, John(Napa, CA)

I recently purchased a 63 bug, which has also been converted to 12
volts, and still has the 6volt starter on it. Since I haven't had any
problems, maybe the "gear" on my starter has been changed. Is that
possible?

And its actually not very difficult to change the starter out, but you
would also have to change the bushing in the bell housing.

Old August 4th 06, 06:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected]

john wrote:
> Anyone else having my problems?

EVERYBODY has that problem... if they insist on retaining their 6v
starter & flywheel. The only question is how long it takes for the
problem to appear. The best part of the joke is what comes next :-)

-Bob Hoover

Old August 4th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected]

john wrote:
> Anyone else having my problems? I converted my 65 bug to 12 volt years
> ago and left the 6 volt starter in. About 7 years ago, I had to have my
> flywheel replaced because the 6 volt starter had worn down the flywheel
> teeth and it wouldn't always catch.
> Now it's doing the same thing again. The starter doesn't engage the
> flywheel the first time, often taking about 6-12 times before it
> finally does.
> What is the simpliest cure? Replace the flywheel again? Replacing the 6
> volt starter with a 12 volt starter seems like a lot of work plus you
> have to replace the starter too.
> Any ideas?

Simplest cure, push start it.
Replace the 6v, 180mm clutch flywheel with a 12volt 200mm clutch
flywheel. Replace the starter with one out of a 1969 Beetle, Autostick,
it's self supporting and doesn't require a bushing in the trans. You'll
have to change the clutch itself too. The transmission bellhousing will
need to be clearanced for the flywheel to fit.

Old August 4th 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
john

Hi. I'm not much of a VW mechanic. How hard is it for an amatuer to
replace the 6 Volt flywheel with another? Is it difficult to pull the
engine and get to the flywheel? Maybe a repair shop would be a better
bet? Any idea of the cost? Thanks much, JOHN

Old August 4th 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
john

Hi. I misspoke in my e-mail. I am thinking of having the flywheel
replaced again, which could give me another 5 years of semi-trouble
free starting. Is it a hard job OR should I take it to a shop?(I'm not
much of a mechanic and have never removed a VW engine). Thanks, JOHN

Old August 4th 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
One out of many daves

Well I have done this 6-12V conversion to at least 3 Beetles, including my
'66, and have not had that problem with the 6V starter tearing up the teeth
on the flywheel. Did you use a new bushing inside of the trans and lube it
too?
Now when you got the new flywheel did you get a new starter also so the
teeth are nice and new?

AFAIK If you install the 200mm flywheel you will need to clearance the
bellhousing to get the flywheel to fit inside of the transmission. That is
some work!!!

Either way you will need to replace the starter and the flywheel. :-(

Next you will tell us the 6V wiper motor has burnt out! 8^)

--
later,
dave