1979 van with 360 won't start. Help anyone?

Old December 20th 04, 11:29 AM
Mike Alvarez

Default 1979 van with 360 won't start. Help anyone?

Its a 79 B300 (Sportsman) van front attached to a motor home. It has a 360
V8. The problem began as: The vehicle would not go above 20 MPH and lacked
power but was not backfiring or missing. After a couple of miles like this
it quit and would not start at all. It cranks but I don't hear any firing
at all. I poured gas in the carb but that made no difference. I checked
the spark and it goes about 1/2 inch long but it is orange (not blue). Is
that right? If I have spark and gas why won't it start? If it is my timing
chain, how could I easily check this?

Old December 22nd 04, 06:31 PM

Have you checked your plugs? The not going above 20 could be a clogged
catalytic converter and that would carbonize your plugs.

Old December 22nd 04, 06:31 PM

Old December 23rd 04, 02:28 PM
Mike Alvarez

Thanks Midnight...
I had taken it to the inspection station. One of the things he did was plug
up the exhaust to look for leaks. When he gave it back, then it would only
do 20mph. I thought my muffler looked a little swollen... I was wondering
about that. In the meanwhile I replaced the spark coil and ballast
resistor with no results. I will check the plugs and get back to you. Keep
those ideas coming!
ups.com...

Old December 23rd 04, 02:28 PM
Mike Alvarez

Thanks Midnight...
I had taken it to the inspection station. One of the things he did was plug
up the exhaust to look for leaks. When he gave it back, then it would only
do 20mph. I thought my muffler looked a little swollen... I was wondering
about that. In the meanwhile I replaced the spark coil and ballast
resistor with no results. I will check the plugs and get back to you. Keep
those ideas coming!
ups.com...

Old December 23rd 04, 04:38 PM
Mike Alvarez

The plugs were OK.
link.net...

Old December 23rd 04, 04:38 PM
Mike Alvarez

Old December 23rd 04, 05:28 PM
55chevy210

muffler looks swollen? sounds like something came apart inside causing some
obstruction in the exhaust. and, did it pass inspection like that?

ink.net...

Old December 23rd 04, 05:28 PM
55chevy210

Old December 24th 04, 04:38 AM
Mike Alvarez

No, it did not pass. I thought the muffler might be obstructed so I cut
(mostly) through the exhaust pipe before the muffler. However, it still
won't fire at all. I will replace the ECU tomorrow (ignition module)
tomorrow although I do have spark at the plugs. Stay tuned!