transmission pan gasket question

Old March 13th 05, 01:31 PM
Nate Nagel

Default transmission pan gasket question

I've got a '55 Studebaker with a '63 Borg-Warner Flightomatic
transmission installed in it. The pan gasket is leaking badly and
making a mess of the floor of my friend's garage. If I ask for a pan
gasket for a later Ford FMX (same tranny) at the parts store, would it
be neoprene instead of cork?

thanks,

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old March 13th 05, 01:45 PM
pater

Go there, ask for it, look in the box & see what what it is. Nuttin'
wrong with a cork gasket anyhow.

Old March 13th 05, 02:13 PM
Nate Nagel

pater wrote:

> Go there, ask for it, look in the box & see what what it is. Nuttin'
> wrong with a cork gasket anyhow.

'cept when it leaks all over the floor I've got a leaky freeze plug
right above the starter as well, looks like I'm going to owe my friend
some kitty litter and a good floor scrubbing once I get this fixed :/

nate

Old March 13th 05, 03:57 PM
Chas Hurst

"Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
> pater wrote:
>
> > Go there, ask for it, look in the box & see what what it is. Nuttin'
> > wrong with a cork gasket anyhow.
> >

> 'cept when it leaks all over the floor I've got a leaky freeze plug
> right above the starter as well, looks like I'm going to owe my friend
> some kitty litter and a good floor scrubbing once I get this fixed :/
>
> nate

Cork gaskets work fine if the pan is flat, and it probably isn't, and the
fasteners are properly and not overly tightened, which they probably are.

Old March 13th 05, 04:21 PM
larry moe 'n curly

Nate Nagel wrote:
> pater wrote:
>
> > Nuttin' wrong with a cork gasket anyhow.

> 'cept when it leaks all over the floor

Toyota and Nissan ordinary cork gaskets: never leaked

Ford fancy cork gasket with silicone rubber bead: leaked @ 15,000 mi.
Engine pan gasket had also leaked @ 5,000 mi.

$1.50 rubber-coated paper gasket for Ford: never leaked. I got it at
a transmission supply house.

Old March 14th 05, 06:08 AM

just scrape the pan clean and use a good tube of silicone sealer gasket
material
$4.00
old john