Piston Tops

Old July 7th 05, 04:20 PM
TerryB

Default Piston Tops

Would polishing the piston tops help reduce heat transfer to the rest
of the piston body?

I have seen in other groups that this is recommended, but not sure that
is has been discussed here. I did a google group search and found only
a couple hits for this group, but many hits for other groups.

Old July 7th 05, 04:44 PM
P.J. Berg

TerryB wrote:
> Would polishing the piston tops help reduce heat transfer to the rest
> of the piston body?
>
> I have seen in other groups that this is recommended, but not sure that
> is has been discussed here. I did a google group search and found only
> a couple hits for this group, but many hits for other groups.

Carbon build-up is better, if you cant do a proper coating that is..

J.
Old July 7th 05, 05:52 PM

TerryB wrote:
> Would polishing the piston tops help reduce heat transfer to the rest
> of the piston body?

Yes. Also for the chamber. After about 20 hours of run-time the
polish will be gone but the main benefit will remain. Here's why:

The key point is not to just make the surfaces shiny but to make them
perfectly uniform. The piston-top and the as-cast surface of the
chamber are irregular. The tool marks on the piston-top serve to
INCREASE its surface area; the larger the surface, the more heat it
picks up. Polishing, which is always done before balancing (or cc'ing)
should remove ALL of the tool marks and nomenclature from the top of
the piston and leave a mirror-bright finish.

A mirror-bright surface absorbs less radiated heat. Once the entire
fuel-air charge has been ignited most of the heat absorption is via
conduction. The conduction phase is significantly longer than the
reflection phase which is why having a uniform surface is the primary
goal of polishing.

Thermal barrier coatings do a better job of heat rejection. Rather
than polish the surface, it is ABRADED, typically with #120 media at
low pressure. This creates an 'infinite' surface; under 30x
magnification you will see that the surface is now a field of jagged
edges. The ceramic-metallic coating fills the pits and bonds to those
edges at the molecular level when the piston is baked. The resulting
surface is then polished. It won't come out mirror smooth but it will
be uniform and the resulting cermet alloy is a very poor conductor of
heat.

The less heat absorbed by the chamber & piston, the higher the
effective pressure in the cylinder. The net result is to see more
torque at the crank for the same amount of fuel. Not a lot more,
because VW's don't have very large pistons, but the improvement is
built-in and doesn't wear out, assuming the coating has been properly
applied.

-Bob Hoover

Old July 7th 05, 08:02 PM
TerryB

> TerryB wrote:
> > Would polishing the piston tops help reduce heat transfer to the rest
> > of the piston body?

> Yes. Also for the chamber. After about 20 hours of run-time the
> polish will be gone but the main benefit will remain. Here's why:
>
> The key point is not to just make the surfaces shiny but to make them
> perfectly uniform. The piston-top and the as-cast surface of the
> chamber are irregular. The tool marks on the piston-top serve to
> INCREASE its surface area; the larger the surface, the more heat it
> picks up. Polishing, which is always done before balancing (or cc'ing)
> should remove ALL of the tool marks and nomenclature from the top of
> the piston and leave a mirror-bright finish.
>
> A mirror-bright surface absorbs less radiated heat. Once the entire
> fuel-air charge has been ignited most of the heat absorption is via
> conduction. The conduction phase is significantly longer than the
> reflection phase which is why having a uniform surface is the primary
> goal of polishing.
>
> Thermal barrier coatings do a better job of heat rejection. Rather
> than polish the surface, it is ABRADED, typically with #120 media at
> low pressure. This creates an 'infinite' surface; under 30x
> magnification you will see that the surface is now a field of jagged
> edges. The ceramic-metallic coating fills the pits and bonds to those
> edges at the molecular level when the piston is baked. The resulting
> surface is then polished. It won't come out mirror smooth but it will
> be uniform and the resulting cermet alloy is a very poor conductor of
> heat.
>
> The less heat absorbed by the chamber & piston, the higher the
> effective pressure in the cylinder. The net result is to see more
> torque at the crank for the same amount of fuel. Not a lot more,
> because VW's don't have very large pistons, but the improvement is
> built-in and doesn't wear out, assuming the coating has been properly
> applied.
>
> -Bob Hoover

Thank you Sir, this is the answer I was hoping for.

Old July 8th 05, 03:53 AM
Jan Andersson

http://www.geocities.com/janbugger/pistonspolished2.jpg

Jan (Coke addict, what can I say)

BEWARE of Slick Tops/California Tops mouseranch Jeep 18 June 27th 05 05:40 PM
Piston ring groove questions TeGGer® Technology 5 March 24th 05 03:54 PM
sail cloth soft tops Big Country Jeep 3 March 4th 05 11:07 PM
why do car engines get noisier with age? Usual Suspect Technology 28 February 22nd 05 07:25 PM
stuck caliper... Abeness Honda 113 December 7th 04 02:22 AM