timing lamp on ECU car - wire connection to earth ?

Old July 16th 05, 12:26 PM
carl

Default timing lamp on ECU car - wire connection to earth ?

Hi,

Excuse me for checking this beforehand on the forum.

When checking timing marks with a lamp, one said to me there should be a
wire from the harness connected to earth/ground to ensure a fixed advance,
which can then be adjusted. This distributor is still manually adjustable.

Can I believe this ? This connector is rather special, having a very thin
metal pin and a plastic pin protruding next to it. So I guess this connector
is meant for some factory- specific tester.

But I can believe this to be a common feature on some ECU cars.

Anyone has experience with this ?

Thanks in advance,

Carl

Old July 16th 05, 12:31 PM
carl

Sorry,

Forgot to say crankshaft and camshaft angle/position sensor are incorporated
in distributor. So injection timing is changed with this distributor setting
as well. I think more reason to check it fysically ...

Thanks,

Carl

Old July 16th 05, 02:20 PM
Mike Romain

You really should say what kind of car and engine and age. There are
tons of 'new' ways to time a vehicle these days including a lot that
cannot be adjusted.

Some of those 'unused' grounds are just for high altitude running.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old July 16th 05, 02:50 PM
carl

Hi Mike&all,

and sorry. It is a Mitsubishi Space Star 1.3 '99. Meanwhile I received
confirmation
from an ex-mechanic salesman. This brown/black wire is meant indeed to fix
advance ignition to a value
used for adjustment. Just is tricky that the connector looked too special to
be used just for grounding.

FYI there is on this car also a blue fuel pump engine override connector for
emptying the tank.

Carl

...."Mike Romain" > schreef in bericht