coolant leak question as well

Old April 12th 09, 05:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
BK68

Default coolant leak question as well

1996 Ford Explorer. Small coolant leak only when the truck is off or cold.
Doesn't leak when it is at 200-220 degrees. Not much coolant but any coolant
leak would be ideal of course. I can find where is coming from, but it looks
where the lower hose goes into radiator. But wouldn't it leak all he
time?Any ideas please? thanks

Old April 12th 09, 06:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 23:50:42 -0500, "BK68" >
wrote:

>1996 Ford Explorer. Small coolant leak only when the truck is off or cold.
>Doesn't leak when it is at 200-220 degrees. Not much coolant but any coolant
>leak would be ideal of course. I can find where is coming from, but it looks
>where the lower hose goes into radiator. But wouldn't it leak all he
>time?Any ideas please? thanks

Sometimes the crimped on end tanks will leak when cold but when things
get hot and expand they stop leaking.
Old April 13th 09, 02:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
BK68[_2_]

Ok, sounds a little cheaper than alot. So what do I need to solve this?
And maybe I didn't described it, my fault. When I see it is more like a
splatter of coolant. A small puddle about 2 inches wide and then there is
quite a bit of splatter.

Old April 13th 09, 03:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

You could recrimp the end tanks but you'd have to take the radiator
out to do it. If you go to all that trouble you might as well just
geta new radiator. Other then dripping I don't know what would make
it spatter. To spatter I would think it would be due to it spraying
out when it's hot. Perhaps it not leaking when it's cold but is
doing it when it's hot right after you shut it off and it's
pressurized. Are you sure it's not the water pump leaking and the
leaking water running down the underside of the lower hose?

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 20:29:20 -0500, "BK68" > wrote:

>Ok, sounds a little cheaper than alot. So what do I need to solve this?
>And maybe I didn't described it, my fault. When I see it is more like a
>splatter of coolant. A small puddle about 2 inches wide and then there is
>quite a bit of splatter.
.. .