Coded Keys - Options

Old December 5th 05, 02:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default Coded Keys - Options

Hello Group,
Well I just bought this 2002 X with only one coded key. Have heard only
the dealer can make me another key for buck bucks. Is there other options?
TIA - Jerry

Old December 5th 05, 03:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Nope. With the current PATS system, you need two working keys to
program a third key. If you don't care about the PATS system, you could
just tape your working PATS key near the PATS antenna wire and use a
plain (no chip) key to run the vehicle. Of course any theif could do
the same.

Why didn't you get two keys when you purchased the vehicle?

Ed

Old December 5th 05, 03:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

"Gerald Riggs" > wrote...

> Hello Group,
> Well I just bought this 2002 X with only one coded key. Have heard only
> the dealer can make me another key for buck bucks. Is there other options?
> TIA - Jerry

Try checking with local locksmiths. But as you fear, it may be that your
dealer is the only game in town.

Whatever you do, don't just have one key made (giving you a total of two).
If you lose one of the two, you're back in the same single-key boat. If you
have at least three, then a loss of one still leaves you with two which
allows buying and self-programming future keys at a much reduced cost.

I have noted at my local ACE hardware store that they now identify, sell
and cut coded keys allowing you to program it yourself assuming that you
have two programmed keys already. The way this seems to work is that you
drop your current key in a machine which identifies the type of transponder
that's needed. Then they choose the appropriate blank key with proper
transponder, cut it, give it to you, then you follow the instructions in
your Owner's Manual for programming it.

Good luck.

Craig

Old December 5th 05, 04:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Bought from used car dealer. They only had 1 key. I was too dumb to make a
big deal out of it, then.
Jerry
ups.com...

Old December 6th 05, 12:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

I was in the same boat until I asked the salesman to call the previous
owner and ask for any spares (luckily they had a set). While waiting I
found this site: http://www.streetkeys.com

I didn't get to try them but it seemed to be a bit cheaper than
going through a dealer.

Jim

Old December 6th 05, 01:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Ed,

That's a very interesting idea! I assume I could just tape it inside
the steering column. Of course if it was ever stolen & your insurance
company ever found out... .

Old December 6th 05, 07:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Well I got a couple more keys and it was not cheap. A local locksmith had a
New Generation Star OBDII Scanner and did the job for $25 each key blank and
$40 to do the programming. Basically set as a new key, now with 3 keys
total. Ford dealer wanted about $100 to send me away with one more spare
key. Word to the wise, as others have said, if you have only 2 keys, buy
another key blank ($20-$25) and program it yourself . Or better yet, don't
buy a car with only one coded key! Oh how we learn as we age.
Jerry

Old December 6th 05, 07:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

"Gerald Riggs" wrote...

> Well I got a couple more keys and it was not cheap. A local locksmith had
> a New Generation Star OBDII Scanner and did the job for $25 each key blank
> and $40 to do the programming. Basically set as a new key, now with 3 keys
> total. Ford dealer wanted about $100 to send me away with one more spare
> key. Word to the wise, as others have said, if you have only 2 keys, buy
> another key blank ($20-$25) and program it yourself . Or better yet, don't
> buy a car with only one coded key! Oh how we learn as we age.
> Jerry
> "Gerald Riggs" > wrote in message
>> Hello Group,
>> Well I just bought this 2002 X with only one coded key. Have heard
>> only the dealer can make me another key for buck bucks. Is there other
>> options?
>> TIA - Jerry

Hey, good to hear all is well now. $90 ain't too a bad lesson. I've
thought that in the future if I buy a new vehicle, I'll ask that a 3rd key
be part of the purchase agreement. That's also good to hear that some
well-equipped locksmiths can create and program keys even if you only have
one working key.

Craig (non-coded '96 Explorer but a coded '01 Focus)

Transponder Keys Billy Ray Jeep 3 November 6th 05 03:35 PM
Moving -- Selling Car...Options? [email protected] General 1 June 30th 05 01:08 PM
Keys to New Imports Elliott Plack, USAR Technology 5 June 3rd 05 09:40 PM
What was the last year of "regular" ignition keys on the 3 series? Dori A Schmetterling BMW 2 May 26th 05 01:18 PM
Stereo stays on without keys in ignition juliehicks75 General 2 July 13th 04 05:08 AM