1986 E30 M20 325i - Timing Belt Slipped??

Old September 8th 06, 11:47 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
PS2Project

Default 1986 E30 M20 325i - Timing Belt Slipped??

My baby backfired and stopped working last week. I lost the
spark to the plugs. To cut a long story short, after testing the
coil and engine sensors, etc, i finally traced the fault to the
ECU. Replaced that with a reconditioned unit and although i now
have a spark, the car still won't start. There's plenty of fuel
and it's smelling strong at the exhaust after cranking the
engine.

It sometimes fires a couple of times but it's not enough to
actually run. It seems as though the timing is off. Is there an
easy way of checking if the belt has slipped without going
through the replacement procedure? Can i use the TDC sensor and
check valve positions or something like that?

Also, how important is the Idle Air Control Valve? Its humming
like a good 'un but i think the flap may be sticking. Would that
cause my symptoms I'm gonna clean it out tomorrow when daylight
comes.

Thanks in advance...

Posted with NewsLeecher v2.0 Final
* Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
* http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

Old September 10th 06, 02:31 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Psycho

Check cap and rotor yet? Belt doesn't slip to the best of my
knowledge, breaks but not slips...

On 08 Sep 2006 22:47:29 GMT, (PS2Project) wrote:

>My baby backfired and stopped working last week. I lost the
>spark to the plugs. To cut a long story short, after testing the
>coil and engine sensors, etc, i finally traced the fault to the
>ECU. Replaced that with a reconditioned unit and although i now
>have a spark, the car still won't start. There's plenty of fuel
>and it's smelling strong at the exhaust after cranking the
>engine.
>
>It sometimes fires a couple of times but it's not enough to
>actually run. It seems as though the timing is off. Is there an
>easy way of checking if the belt has slipped without going
>through the replacement procedure? Can i use the TDC sensor and
>check valve positions or something like that?
>
>Also, how important is the Idle Air Control Valve? Its humming
>like a good 'un but i think the flap may be sticking. Would that
>cause my symptoms I'm gonna clean it out tomorrow when daylight
>comes.
>
>Thanks in advance...

>Posted with NewsLeecher v2.0 Final
> * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
> *
http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

1986 Civic Timing Belt Spike McKracken Honda 8 July 22nd 06 05:23 AM
Timing belt followup. B.B. Technology 6 April 2nd 06 06:39 AM
1996 Caravan - 3.0L Timing belt replacement aarcuda69062 Dodge 0 November 17th 05 11:10 AM
timing belt tension Ryan Underwood Technology 14 September 25th 05 12:13 AM
Replacing Timing belt 1986 Honda Accord LX [email protected] Honda 5 August 9th 05 12:18 AM