1990 Honda Accord won't start when engine is warm

Old March 14th 05, 09:57 PM
punkyw

Default 1990 Honda Accord won't start when engine is warm

My honda starts just fine when the engine is cold, but after it warms up,
it won,t re-start. It acts like the engine is flooding. Any ideas?

Old March 14th 05, 11:33 PM
Imminent Vengeance

punkyw wrote:

> My honda starts just fine when the engine is cold, but after it warms up,
> it won,t re-start. It acts like the engine is flooding. Any ideas?

Two words: Main relay!

Old March 15th 05, 03:42 AM
TeGGer®

"punkyw" > wrote in
lkaboutautos.com:

> My honda starts just fine when the engine is cold, but after it warms up,
> it won,t re-start. It acts like the engine is flooding. Any ideas?

So what happens?

Does it fire then die right away when you let go of the key?

Does it crank and crank and crank but not "catch"?

Does it seems to "catch" momentarily but then fail to stay alive even
though you keep cranking?

Your primary cuplrits right now are the Main Relay and the ignition switch.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old March 15th 05, 07:42 AM

Imminent Vengeance wrote:
> punkyw wrote:
>
> > My honda starts just fine when the engine is cold, but after it

warms up,
> > it won,t re-start. It acts like the engine is flooding. Any ideas?

> Two words: Main relay!

that's correct. Since I bought another main relay, I got no problem
with it.

Old March 31st 05, 01:56 AM
punkyw

I replaced the main relay and the map sensor, but it did not solve the
problem. When the engine is warm and i try to start it, the egine acts
like it wants to fire when I first turn the key, but then just spins. Any
other ideas?

Old March 31st 05, 02:23 AM
TeGGer®

"punkyw" > wrote in
lkaboutautos.com:

> I replaced the main relay and the map sensor, but it did not solve the
> problem. When the engine is warm and i try to start it, the egine acts
> like it wants to fire when I first turn the key, but then just spins.
> Any other ideas?

Ignition switch? Have you tried a new key?

Old March 31st 05, 04:52 PM
Graham W

punkyw wrote:
> I replaced the main relay and the map sensor, but it did not solve the
> problem. When the engine is warm and i try to start it, the egine acts
> like it wants to fire when I first turn the key, but then just
> spins. Any other ideas?

Try cleaning the distributor cap inside and out. If that fixes it either
wash it and polish it or replace it.

There's an article on my website (below) in the 'Miscellanea' section
which is similar to your problem. Although it is 'Rover' the engine is
Honda!

Old March 31st 05, 07:28 PM
Glynn Edgar

Hi,

After trying the same fixes as you with my car it turned out to be the
ignition coil. After my honda dealer placed a tester off his bench in it my
car has ran perfect ever since.

Your shop should be able to try the same thing.

Cheers,

Glynn

Old May 12th 05, 10:36 PM
punkyw

well,after procrastinating all this time, I pulled the ignition module from
the distributer and it tested bad at the parts store. After replacement,
the car is running fine again. Everyboby, thanks for your ideas.