how much brake fluid

Old July 20th 05, 04:14 AM
chibitul

Default how much brake fluid

Hi, I am gonna try to change the brake fluid in two Civics. One is
1997, the other one is 2001, both are LX, 5 speed, no ABS. How much
brake fluid do I need foe each? I plan to use a syringe to extract the
old fluid from the reservoir, then add fress fluid and flush the lines
one at a time, (I know the right order), use a hose at the bleeding
screw (does anyone know WHAT SIZE?) and have someone pump the brake.
Yes, I will refill the reservoir, I don't want air in the system.

I have no idea what is the volume of brake fluid in these cars.

Thanks

Old July 20th 05, 06:20 AM
motsco_ _

chibitul wrote:
> Hi, I am gonna try to change the brake fluid in two Civics. One is
> 1997, the other one is 2001, both are LX, 5 speed, no ABS. How much
> brake fluid do I need foe each? I plan to use a syringe to extract the
> old fluid from the reservoir, then add fress fluid and flush the lines
> one at a time, (I know the right order), use a hose at the bleeding
> screw (does anyone know WHAT SIZE?) and have someone pump the brake.
> Yes, I will refill the reservoir, I don't want air in the system.
>
> I have no idea what is the volume of brake fluid in these cars.
>
> Thanks

--------------------

Less than half a litre will do both, no problem. Be sure your helper
knows not to push the pedal down to the floor (or use a block of wood
under the pedal) The tubing that comes on a MityVac fits the nipples
just a bit loose. You could check that at the mity-vac web site.

'Curly'

Old July 20th 05, 12:59 PM
TeGGeR®

"chibitul" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Hi, I am gonna try to change the brake fluid in two Civics. One is
> 1997, the other one is 2001, both are LX, 5 speed, no ABS. How much
> brake fluid do I need foe each?

Figure you'll open about two pint bottles for each, but use a bit less than
the full two pints. Three pints might do total, but get four to be sure.

> I plan to use a syringe to extract the
> old fluid from the reservoir, then add fress fluid and flush the lines
> one at a time, (I know the right order),

Honda uses a diagonally-split system. Bleed order is
RR, LF; LR, RF.

> use a hose at the bleeding
> screw (does anyone know WHAT SIZE?)

8mm wrench. 1/4" ID vinyl hose. A couple of feet of hose will do.

> and have someone pump the brake.

For the 2001 you can pump the pedal right to the floor. It's new enough
that corrosion and gunk buildup will be minimal to none.

For the '97, I'd limit pedal travel to 1.5" with a block under the pedal.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old July 20th 05, 09:48 PM
chibitul

"For the '97, I'd limit pedal travel to 1.5" with a block under the
pedal. "

Could you please comment on that?

Old July 20th 05, 11:12 PM
TeGGeR®

"chibitul" > wrote in
oups.com:

> "For the '97, I'd limit pedal travel to 1.5" with a block under the
> pedal. "
>
> Could you please comment on that?

It's eight years old. Unless the fluid's been changed (using the pedal-pump
method) at least a few times over those eight years, you risk damage to
your master cylinder seals if you let the pedal go to the floor now.

Old July 21st 05, 03:14 AM
SoCalMike

TeGGeR® wrote:
> Honda uses a diagonally-split system. Bleed order is
> RR, LF; LR, RF.

i just go RR, LR, RF, LF... from the furthest away to the closest to the MC.

>>use a hose at the bleeding
>>screw (does anyone know WHAT SIZE?)

> 8mm wrench. 1/4" ID vinyl hose. A couple of feet of hose will do.

i likes my mityvac. it allows me to do it all by myself, without
pumping the brake. found it works better when i take the bleeder screws
out and wrap 1 revolution of teflon tape around the threads. otherwise i
get air bubbles through the threads. the speed bleeder screws would
probably be better, but i digress.
Old July 21st 05, 05:44 AM
jim beam

chibitul wrote:
> "For the '97, I'd limit pedal travel to 1.5" with a block under the
> pedal. "
>
> Could you please comment on that?

there may be merit to this argument, but for my money, the master
cylinder /must/ be able to withstand excess travel in the event of
emergency braking or line failure, so, apart from the fact that full
travel bleeding is the only way to bleed some difficult systems, i think
it's best to bleed full travel now, and see if it accelerates failure.

my experience is that some master cylinders on neglected systems will
often start to leak a few days after a fluid change, even if bled by
vacuum or pressure [where there is zero pedal movement], because new
fluid causes seals to shrink, so therefore cause & effect with full
travel bleeding is not absolute.

Soft brake persists after Brake Fluid Flush. [email protected] Honda 12 June 18th 05 02:29 AM
Motorex brake fluid? y_p_w Technology 29 April 21st 05 03:10 AM
Brake rotors already grooving [email protected] Technology 46 January 15th 05 04:42 PM
changing brake fluid, also ABS Abeness Honda 12 November 22nd 04 05:29 AM