Watering down the brand

Old May 30th 05, 04:05 AM
MidnightDad

Default Watering down the brand

Why do car manufacturers insist on watering down their brand? Owning
a Mercedes, Porsche, or BMW used to mean something. It used to mean
that you were in an elite class of people who were successful enough
to own a top of the line machine. The cost of these cars put them
above the reach of the vast majority. Now, anyone with $30K can have
one. Granted, it's a watered down version of the original auto that
made the brand significant, but nonetheless, you get to call yourself
a BMW-owner (for example). I can just imaging the ire of the person
who finally reaches a position in life where they can afford to buy a
$90,000 911 only to pull up next to some dick in a Boxster who just
graduated college. Don't these manufacturers realize they are
sacrificing the long-term reputation and legend of their brand for the
short-term infusion of cash?
Old May 30th 05, 08:01 AM
wtrplnet

"MidnightDad" > wrote in message
> Why do car manufacturers insist on watering down their brand? Owning
> a Mercedes, Porsche, or BMW used to mean something. It used to mean
> that you were in an elite class of people who were successful enough
> to own a top of the line machine. The cost of these cars put them
> above the reach of the vast majority. Now, anyone with $30K can have
> one. Granted, it's a watered down version of the original auto that
> made the brand significant, but nonetheless, you get to call yourself
> a BMW-owner (for example). I can just imaging the ire of the person
> who finally reaches a position in life where they can afford to buy a
> $90,000 911 only to pull up next to some dick in a Boxster who just
> graduated college. Don't these manufacturers realize they are
> sacrificing the long-term reputation and legend of their brand for the
> short-term infusion of cash?

If you know where I can find a new $30k Boxter please send a link. Perhaps
you haven't been paying attention.

Old May 30th 05, 10:02 AM
C.H.

On Sun, 29 May 2005 23:05:46 -0400, MidnightDad wrote:

> Why do car manufacturers insist on watering down their brand? Owning a
> Mercedes, Porsche, or BMW used to mean something. It used to mean that
> you were in an elite class of people who were successful enough to own a
> top of the line machine. The cost of these cars put them above the reach
> of the vast majority. Now, anyone with $30K can have one. Granted, it's
> a watered down version of the original auto that made the brand
> significant, but nonetheless, you get to call yourself a BMW-owner (for
> example). I can just imaging the ire of the person who finally reaches a
> position in life where they can afford to buy a $90,000 911 only to pull
> up next to some dick in a Boxster who just graduated college. Don't these
> manufacturers realize they are sacrificing the long-term reputation and
> legend of their brand for the short-term infusion of cash?

Porsche started with souped up VW Beetles. They made their way to the top
but like almost all other brands they need a way to acquire younger
customers, who eventually will upgrade to the top of the line car.

But if you need to complain about that you are not rich enough to afford
top-of-the-line anyways. People, who are that rich, don't care about the
Boxster, they may even have one in the garage for the girlfriend or wife.

Chris
Old May 30th 05, 01:38 PM
Gudmundur

In article >, says...

>Why do car manufacturers insist on watering down their brand? Owning
>a Mercedes, Porsche, or BMW used to mean something. It used to mean
>that you were in an elite class of people who were successful enough
>to own a top of the line machine. The cost of these cars put them
>above the reach of the vast majority. Now, anyone with $30K can have

Or it means you are to self important to use turn signals, and to
f--king stupid to turn off your fog lamps in traffic when it isn't
foggy. What kind of a jackass drives with H.I.D. headlamps, and fog
lamps lit, in traffic, on a clear night??? It seems that most
'Expenso-car' dicks think I should yeild way more than my half of
the road to them because their car cost more. My second car, which is
actually my Freightliner was built by Mercedes, and cost about twice
what most of the Type-A personality dickweeds paid for their over priced,
over rated Gerry Junk. I haven't been impressed by a Beamer in 20 years.
If I had a hundred grand to spend on a car, it would be a one off custom
like ZZ-Top's CadZilla. CadZilla will turn a lot more heads than any
semi-massed-produced overpriced salesmans wet dream murder machine.

Watered Down, More like ****ed on, and **** poor. I ran my mild
350 powered street rod pickup against one of the Kompressor Mercedes
2 seater sport compacts. I almost pee'd my pants laughing at his
feeble attempts to catch me. Since then, I put a 144 cubic inch mini
blower on my truck. Now I would love a chance to beat that idiot by
7 freight trains in a one freight train race. Oh yes, here's the part
I like, my truck cost me under $5000 to hand build from stuff I found
in my grandfather's back yard. Tell me again why he paid over 50K????

I get less miles per gallon, but way more fun per dollar!!!!

Old May 30th 05, 04:45 PM
Paul

On Mon, 30 May 2005 12:38:34 -0000, Gudmundur , said the following in
rec.autos.driving...

> Or it means you are to self important to use turn signals, and to
> f--king stupid to turn off your fog lamps in traffic when it isn't
> foggy. What kind of a jackass drives with H.I.D. headlamps, and fog
> lamps lit, in traffic, on a clear night???

The jackass with the mentality that "I paid for the things, so I'm going
to use them." I just wish the cops had the spine enough to ticket some of
these jerkwads like I have when I throw my highbeams back at them. Just
once, I'd like to get one of those Nite-Sun assemblies that they put on
helicopters and use it on one of these pretentious foglight-on-a-clear-
night using dicks.

> It seems that most
> 'Expenso-car' dicks think I should yeild way more than my half of
> the road to them because their car cost more. My second car, which is
> actually my Freightliner was built by Mercedes, and cost about twice
> what most of the Type-A personality dickweeds paid for their over priced,
> over rated Gerry Junk. I haven't been impressed by a Beamer in 20 years.
> If I had a hundred grand to spend on a car, it would be a one off custom
> like ZZ-Top's CadZilla. CadZilla will turn a lot more heads than any
> semi-massed-produced overpriced salesmans wet dream murder machine.

****, if I had the money, I'd rather have some one-off custom built hot-
rod over some kraut krap any day too...

> Watered Down, More like ****ed on, and **** poor. I ran my mild
> 350 powered street rod pickup against one of the Kompressor Mercedes
> 2 seater sport compacts. I almost pee'd my pants laughing at his
> feeble attempts to catch me. Since then, I put a 144 cubic inch mini
> blower on my truck. Now I would love a chance to beat that idiot by
> 7 freight trains in a one freight train race. Oh yes, here's the part
> I like, my truck cost me under $5000 to hand build from stuff I found
> in my grandfather's back yard. Tell me again why he paid over 50K????

So that he can have an incomplete peace sign on their grill??

> I get less miles per gallon, but way more fun per dollar!!!!

That's what counts. Let kraut boy work on his hypertension and ulcers
slaving away for the CEO untill the next round of downsizing comes
along....
Old May 30th 05, 04:58 PM

MidnightDad wrote:
> I can just imaging the ire of the person
> who finally reaches a position in life where they can afford to buy a
> $90,000 911 ...

And seeing a 912, 914, 924, Boxster....

On this planet, there have always been entry-level Porsches.

Hell, I could go out right now and buy a $10k 911. A decent one, in
good repair.

Folks who use cars as dick-extenders deserve a little shrinkage now and
then.

E.P.

Old May 30th 05, 08:49 PM
Daniel J. Stern

+----------+
| PLEASE |
| DO NOT |
| FEED THE |
| TROLLS |
+----------+
| |
| |
.\|.||/..

Old May 31st 05, 01:36 AM
MidnightDad

I feel compelled to say this about Paul >'s comments:

>On Mon, 30 May 2005 12:38:34 -0000, Gudmundur , said the following in
>rec.autos.driving...
>
>> Or it means you are to self important to use turn signals, and to
>> f--king stupid to turn off your fog lamps in traffic when it isn't
>> foggy. What kind of a jackass drives with H.I.D. headlamps, and fog
>> lamps lit, in traffic, on a clear night???

>The jackass with the mentality that "I paid for the things, so I'm going
>to use them." I just wish the cops had the spine enough to ticket some of
>these jerkwads like I have when I throw my highbeams back at them. Just
>once, I'd like to get one of those Nite-Sun assemblies that they put on
>helicopters and use it on one of these pretentious foglight-on-a-clear-
>night using dicks.

Assuming they're aimed correctly, what's wrong with using foglights on
a clear night?

Old May 31st 05, 01:51 AM
Paul

On Mon, 30 May 2005 20:36:07 -0400, MidnightDad , said the following in
rec.autos.driving...

> Assuming they're aimed correctly, what's wrong with using foglights on
> a clear night?

Key words: "aimed correctly." Most of what end up in my eyes are
obviously not properly aimed. If they were, they should not be blinding
like highbeams. Those are the ones I am referring to.
Old May 31st 05, 03:29 AM
Garth Almgren

Around 5/30/2005 5:36 PM, MidnightDad wrote:

> I feel compelled to say this about Paul >'s comments:
>
>>On Mon, 30 May 2005 12:38:34 -0000, Gudmundur , said the following in
>>rec.autos.driving...
>>
>>> Or it means you are to self important to use turn signals, and to
>>>f--king stupid to turn off your fog lamps in traffic when it isn't
>>>foggy. What kind of a jackass drives with H.I.D. headlamps, and fog
>>>lamps lit, in traffic, on a clear night???

>>The jackass with the mentality that "I paid for the things, so I'm going
>>to use them."
>>

> Assuming they're aimed correctly, what's wrong with using foglights on
> a clear night?

I take it you're also assuming that it is physically possible to aim
them correctly?

--
~/Garth |"I believe that it is better to tell the truth than a lie.
Almgren | I believe it is better to be free than to be a slave.