LH sway-bar bolt 1998 Explorer URGENT UK OWNER

Old August 1st 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Bigusdickus

Default LH sway-bar bolt 1998 Explorer URGENT UK OWNER

MR Haynes shows no picture. My antiroll bar long bolt has broke off at
the head. I am trying to remove it but the bolt seems to be seized
solid inside the tube i have had a pair of moles on the tube and a
socket on the nut at the bottom, I am confused as the tube appears to
be just a piece of plastic, it seems imposible the ammount of torque i
have applied it will not come free. Is there some internal fittment or
do i just have to destroy the plastic tube ? THANKS

Old August 1st 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Simon H

"Bigusdickus" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> MR Haynes shows no picture. My antiroll bar long bolt has broke off at
> the head. I am trying to remove it but the bolt seems to be seized
> solid inside the tube i have had a pair of moles on the tube and a
> socket on the nut at the bottom, I am confused as the tube appears to
> be just a piece of plastic, it seems imposible the ammount of torque i
> have applied it will not come free. Is there some internal fittment or
> do i just have to destroy the plastic tube ? THANKS

It's a long bolt through a metal tube. There should be a couple of shock
absorber style rubber bushes on each end. The tube and bushes come complete
with the new item. Attack the old one with an angle grinder or something to
get it off.
As you're in the UK I would recommend
http://www.usautomotive.co.uk/store/Scripts/default.asp (Phone: (01234)
273155). I got a 'Sway Bar Kit' (which is what you want) for less than £25
next day delivery - I ordered it at 5:15pm and it was delivered next
morning.
Good luck!

Simon H

Old August 4th 06, 11:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jimmy the Hand

Bigusdickus wrote:
> MR Haynes shows no picture. My antiroll bar long bolt has broke off at
> the head. I am trying to remove it but the bolt seems to be seized
> solid inside the tube i have had a pair of moles on the tube and a
> socket on the nut at the bottom, I am confused as the tube appears to
> be just a piece of plastic, it seems imposible the ammount of torque i
> have applied it will not come free. Is there some internal fittment or
> do i just have to destroy the plastic tube ? THANKS

Sometimes the rubber gets stuck on those bolts so hard that's it's
retarded trying to get them off. Angle grinder like the previous
poster mentioned would work. Also, soak the **** out of the rubber
with an oil-based WD40 like spray. ie Liquid Wrench.