Worth replacing rear on 2K GT ???

Old June 15th 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default Worth replacing rear on 2K GT ???

wrote:

> > Question: How in the world did you get water in your diff?

> No idea. A friend told me that going through a puddle can cause some
> water to get in through a top breather hole. (I guess that's what
> happened).

So you don't know if there's water even in there...? Note: Going
through a puddle is not going to do it.

> I did get more info from the dealer today regarding his refusal to
> change the diff fluid. In a nutshell, he said it would take a lot of
> work to disassemble the rear and check all the gears. If he was to do
> this, I would have to be ready to pay for a completely new rear if
> needed (not just for fluid change). I told him just to look around
> while the diff cover is off, but he told me it wasn't that simple. He
> also told me that if he just changed the fluid and I had an accident
> because of the rear failure, he would be somehow liable (which sounds
> like total BS to me).

It is! Do NOT let this dealership touch your car! Only go back to ask
him to put his diagnosis and recommended fix in writing. But I'll bet
you he won't do it, because he knows the story is BS and won't want to
be on record for saying it.

> I'm still at a loss at what to do. Every time I went to a non-dealer
> mechanic, there was some sort of f-up and I wound up paying twice every
> time. On one hand, $1800 is still cheaper than a new car. The engine is
> in good shape so maybe I'll just go for it. Sorry for long boring
> rant....

Find a local Mustang/car club and ask a few members if they could
recommend a good mechanic.

Good luck! But remember, DO NOT let that dealership touch your car.
They're crooks!

Patrick