Diesel and heating oil?

Old January 14th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default Diesel and heating oil?

What exactly will happen if I try and use my home heating oil to power my
2000 Jetta Diesel?

Old January 14th 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

I found a statement released by the Consumer Energy Council of America,
which states:

Q: What is the difference between diesel fuel and home heating oil?

A: Home heating oil and transportation diesel are chemically identical, but
in the refinery they are processed in slightly different ways for their
respective sectors. In addition to having specified regulations and taxes,
transportation diesel has a low sulfur standard, meaning that it must
contain 0.05 percent sulfur or less. Home heating oil is required by law to
contain a maximum of 0.5 percent sulfur, but due to unintentional mixing of
transportation diesel and home heating oil at the refinery, the sulfur
content of home heating oil usually hovers around 0.2 percent. In order to
distinguish home heating oil from transportation diesel, the refiner will
typically dye heating oil a cranberry color, but otherwise these fuels are
the same.

END OF QUOTE

I'm not sure as to whether or not the above statement is true. It is
certainly worth verifying.

Regards.

Old January 14th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

"Papa" > wroteIn order to

> distinguish home heating oil from transportation diesel, the refiner will
> typically dye heating oil a cranberry color, but otherwise these fuels are
> the same.

They put red dye in "off road diesel" too. In some States however unlikely,
if you get caught with the dyed stuff somehow, either being checked or by an
accident, it is a humongous fine like 10 Grand. At my local station off
road diesel that is dyed red is about 30 ro 40 cents a gallon cheaper than
diesel but no transportation taxes paid on it like the full Diesel.

One could conceivably I guess, sneak in with fuel containers and buy off
road and then put it the diesel auto in but it is taking a chance and
illegal.

Harry

Old January 14th 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

D&LBusch wrote:
> What exactly will happen if I try and use my home heating oil to
> power my 2000 Jetta Diesel?

Besides breaking the law, you could run into some mechanical problems.
The two are very similar but there are differences. I would guess that most
of the time it would work. How lucky do you feel?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old January 14th 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

The difference between 0.05 % and 0.5% sulpher is huge to a diesel fuel
pump..If you are correct.. That's not all that's in heating oil. You can
burn pretty much anything in your heating oil furnace ,and you do, because
its nothing more then pipes with holes in it , an igniter and a fan.
Contaminants will make it through. I dare you to try and put that crap in
your VW. The contamination isn't at the refineries either. Its in the
shipping pipelines transfering across the country. All the pipelines are
used for the different grades of gas and diesel, kerosene, or heating oil.
They are one and the same, and used by ALL the gas companies. They are
seperated , or flushed by the heating oil. Because the mixing of grades is
ok for heating oil, but not for your car. They used to use pigs to seperate
the different fuel in the pipe lines, and clean the lines, but they stopped
because they got stuck. Then they would shut down, and cut the lines open
to get them out. Then weld them back together. Now the pipeline has to run
nonstop. Now they pump so much of each grade , they self flush , and the
crap in the lines, and the mixes between grades swirling together in the
lines are sold as heating oil.. Because heating oil doesn't matter.....Its
the bottom of the barrel.. Used to clean and seperate fuels in the
pipelines... Diesel or kerosene or gasoline, AV gas, or Jet fuel, or
whatever, does matter and can't be used if contaminated..
nk.net...

Old January 14th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Farmers get off road fuel , and thats why they love diesel cars and trucks,
theres no tax on farmers fuel. used in their personal vehicles..
ink.net...

Old January 14th 06, 09:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

I'm all for using heating oil, but I think filtering its the problem, and
not worth the trouble involved unless your using enough to make it worth
while, say 100 gallons a month, and I wouldn,t even dream of putting it in a
finicky TDI's fuel pump thats already pushed to the limit by high fuel
pressures, and is using diesel as an internal lubricant. You would be
better off setting up a "REAL" biodiesel setup for 2-3 grand , and getting
primo diesel, but its not cost effective either unless youre using 100
gallons or so a month and can get the oil free. If I had a big diesel pickup
truck and wanted to drive around all day at 10 mpg.....Well, thats
something else, but a VW getting 40-50 mpg.. It just kills the idea
altogether..
. ..

Old January 14th 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

The best argument of all.... The current dealer list price on a 2000 TDI
diesel injector pump is over 3200 bucks U.S. Makes me want to put heating
oil in it..

Old January 14th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

"D&LBusch" > wrote in message
> What exactly will happen if I try and use my home heating oil to power my
> 2000 Jetta Diesel?

Can't say what might happen with a TDI, but I have done it plenty of times
on older diesels with no notable problems. My understanding is that the
major difference is the dye. If you run a trucking company, or have trucks
moving non-road taxed diesel you may be checked for the proper color/tax
diesel...but in close to a million miles of driving diesel passenger cars in
the US, no one has ever checked to see what color fuel I was running. There
was a while where I had a place where the home heating oil tank was right in
the garage, and I ran my 79 diesel on nothing but heating oil for a couple
of years.
--
Tony Bad
--------------

02 Jetta Wagon
01 Eurovan MV
91 Jetta 1.6 Diesel
86 Jetta
79 Rabbit 1.5 Diesel (semi-retired for now)
Schwinn Continental 10 Speed
Radio Flyer Pedal Car (my daughter made me add this)

Old January 15th 06, 02:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

In article >,
Tony Bad > wrote:

>"D&LBusch" > wrote in message
>> What exactly will happen if I try and use my home heating oil to power my
>> 2000 Jetta Diesel?
>>

>Can't say what might happen with a TDI, but I have done it plenty of times
>on older diesels with no notable problems. My understanding is that the
>major difference is the dye. If you run a trucking company, or have trucks
>moving non-road taxed diesel you may be checked for the proper color/tax
>diesel...but in close to a million miles of driving diesel passenger cars in
>the US, no one has ever checked to see what color fuel I was running. There
>was a while where I had a place where the home heating oil tank was right in
>the garage, and I ran my 79 diesel on nothing but heating oil for a couple
>of years.
>--
>Tony Bad

Ah, you should be driving over in Germany. They continously check for heating
oil in passenger vehicles over there. The Germans also check for illegal
repair garages, IOW fixing cars is illegal unless you are state licensed.
Over here in the US, you can fix cars on the side and nobody give a crap.

--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...