Water in gas

Old March 14th 11, 10:10 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tom Del Rosso[_2_]

Default Water in gas

My Plymouth seems to be out of gas, but it's above the E. Could water get
in there and how do you get it out?

Thanks.

zero, and remove the last word.

Old March 14th 11, 02:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Tom Del Rosso" > wrote in message

> My Plymouth seems to be out of gas, but it's above the E. Could water get
> in there and how do you get it out?
>
> Thanks.

Dont trust that "E" mark too much in the first place. You may still be
out of gasoline.

Second, yes, water could be in the gas tank. A little water could be
there by condensation. A lot of water can be there if you gasoline
station had some wet gas. It happens.

Old March 14th 11, 03:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Only wondering, but what if you poured about half a cup of it on a
smooth concrete floor, would the gas evaporate before the water? If
there is water in the gas? Sort of a 'test'
cuhulin

Old March 14th 11, 04:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

> wrote in message
> Only wondering, but what if you poured about half a cup of it on a
> smooth concrete floor, would the gas evaporate before the water? If
> there is water in the gas? Sort of a 'test'
> cuhulin

Just fill a glass or bottle with it and look for (1) haziness or (2)
separation
of water from the gasoline...quick test.

If there is not much water present, say 3%, the alcohol in the gasoline
might hold it in solution so these tests would be too crude to give a decent
answer. Sometimes you can put a little salt in the glass and that will
help the water separate.

Old March 15th 11, 01:42 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

"Tom Del Rosso" > wrote in
:

> My Plymouth seems to be out of gas, but it's above the E. Could water
> get in there and how do you get it out?
>
> Thanks.

You'd need to have several gallons of water in the tank for it to affect
the gauge reading, which is /extremely/ unlikely. Unless one of the kids
stuck the garden hose into your gas filler neck.

More likely the gauge sender unit (in the tank) is faulty.

--
Tegger
Old March 15th 11, 02:35 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tom Del Rosso[_2_]

Tegger wrote:

> You'd need to have several gallons of water in the tank for it to
> affect the gauge reading, which is /extremely/ unlikely. Unless one
> of the kids stuck the garden hose into your gas filler neck.
>
> More likely the gauge sender unit (in the tank) is faulty.

At least it isn't an engine problem. It started when I added a couple of
gallons.

After they started using ethanol I needed a new fuel pump, which is in the
tank, and after that I had a silimar problem of running out when the guage
was at 1/4, but it stopped doing that. Maybe they didn't secure the pump,
but I'll never get them to open it and check.

zero, and remove the last word.

Old March 15th 11, 05:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

I have two lawn mowers, both of them have Briggs & Stratton engines.One
of them is 3.75 HP, the other one is 6.5 HP.That damn ethanol crap has
messed up my lawn mower that has the 6.5 HP engine.A buddy of mine has a
similar lawn mower with a 6.5 HP Briggs & Stratton engine.His lawn
mower's engine has the same problem, ethanol.I have been driving since
1957, never even once have I ever had a problem with water in the gas.
cuhulin

Old March 15th 11, 01:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Tom Del Rosso > wrote:

>After they started using ethanol I needed a new fuel pump, which is in the
>tank,

Which is the result of the ethanol freeing up all of the varnish and gunk
and cleaning the tank out.... and that varnish and gunk has to go somewhere
and it gets caught in the pump.

>and after that I had a silimar problem of running out when the guage
>was at 1/4, but it stopped doing that.

Which is because when they removed the float and gauge sender assembly in
the process of getting to the pump, they knocked it out of whack. Worst case
they dropped it and bent the rod on the float.

>Maybe they didn't secure the pump,
>but I'll never get them to open it and check.

It's time to replace the gauge sender mechanism.
--scott
Old March 15th 11, 03:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ben91932

On Mar 14, 3:10*am, "Tom Del Rosso" > wrote:
> My Plymouth seems to be out of gas, but it's above the E. *Could water get

Did you try putting a couple of gallons of gas in it?
Check the fuel pump?

Just a thought...
Ben
Old March 15th 11, 04:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Japanese car runs on water.
OK, a bad joke, I know.
cuhulin