parts cleaner??

Old March 13th 11, 07:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
KG[_1_]

Default parts cleaner??

I have been advised that a good solution for parts cleaning is 1/2 mineral spirits and 1/2 water at
used at room temp. Would a 5 gallon container be sufficient?? All comments welcome
*****************
Thank You

To reply to this email please remove the AT
after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
--Mahatma Gandhi
Old March 13th 11, 07:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"KG" > wrote in message
>I have been advised that a good solution for parts cleaning is 1/2 mineral
>spirits and 1/2 water at
> used at room temp. Would a 5 gallon container be sufficient?? All
> comments welcome
> *****************
> Thank You

I dont agree that this is a good parts cleaner. Mineral spirits can vary
in its composition and value as a solvent, but the water is there for the
ride and will separate from the mineral spirits unless it is emulsified into
this formula.. Even so, if it were emulsified into the formula, it would
only
be valuable if you have something on the parts that is water soluble,and
in such a case there are better formulations, normally used in heated
and pressure wash systems.

Some of the lab and shop parts washers use a solvent which is not
exceedingly flammable nor extremely toxic. These are available from
chemical distributors or in large quantities from petrochemical companies.
They are good for oil soluble residues on the tools, but not for water
soluble materials.

You need to know what you are going to be using this system for and
how large the parts will be.

When I took automatic tranny classes some years ago, we had an
open top drum of diesel in the garage that we used to clean the
tranny parts. It worked well enough and was cheap enough.

We supplied a cleaning mixture for use by a Caterpillar agency which
was a mixture of several inorganic chemicals. They had a heated
pressure wash system, and this mixture, dissolved in water, left the
parts clean and dry with no flash rusting. Some parts needed bead
or media blasting to get them clean to the desired levels. As I
remember it, the turbochargers were often pretty badly fouled but
were easily cleaned mechanically.

Old March 13th 11, 08:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Kerosene works, but it is Flammable.I don't advise using it.
cuhulin

air cleaner [email protected] Audi 2 November 4th 07 01:45 AM
What burns cleaner? DB General 0 December 24th 06 03:59 AM
Parts Cleaner Precaution * Technology 1 October 20th 06 03:57 PM
cleaner wf81 Ford Mustang 10 February 26th 06 07:57 AM
Engine Cleaner Susan S VW air cooled 2 April 22nd 05 05:28 AM