Single or Double Roll Bar?

Old March 12th 05, 07:50 AM
Artist

Default Single or Double Roll Bar?

I am looking to get a roll bar for a Mazda Miata possibly from Boss Frog:
http://www.gomiata.com/bofrroba.html

I need to make an intelligent choice between the single and the double.
My main concern is functionality and safety not looks, and price is no
object. I know nothing about roll bars. Comments on whether single or
double is preferable and why would be much appreciated. Comments on who
makes good ones would also be appreciated.

--
If sj. appears in my email address remove it to respond.
It is a spam jammer.

Old March 12th 05, 04:24 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
Artist > wrote:

> I need to make an intelligent choice between the single and the double.
> My main concern is functionality and safety not looks, and price is no
> object.

No double-hoop bar is SCCA approved for Solo I competition. Some
single-hoop bars are. If you're heading for a track day, "meets
specifications" may or may not be the same as "approved."

If you're taller than about 5'8", there's an inverse relationship
between protection and head clearance that you'll have to resolve
according to your own comfort level. A bar that sits far enough rearward
to clear a taller person's head will have to be shorter to fit under the
top. That said, no rollbar that fits under the Miata top is high enough
to keep a tall driver's head from hitting the ground, though any of them
should improve the odds of surviving a rollover.

You also need to evaluate the risk of rollover against the risk of the
bar clobbering you in a rear-ender. Rollbars are designed to be used
with helmets, and no amount or type of bar padding is a substitute for
Snell-approved head protection.

The most popular approved Miata rollbars are variants of the Hard Dog
Hard Core. See http://bethania-garage.com/why.htm

Many bars limit seat travel--both slide and tilt--for driver and/or
passenger. You really need to sit in cars with various bars installed.
Most are intrusive to some degree, and you'll have to decide for
yourself how much discomfort you can tolerate. Unless you're vertically
challenged, of course.

--
Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
'94C
Old March 12th 05, 08:41 PM
The Millers

I just ordered a D2 from Bethany Garage the other day. They are in stock
and mine is supposed to ship this Monday.

I don't race, so getting the double hoop was not an issue for me. I'm also
not very tall, so the height of the the double hoop was not an issue. And,
I just like the way they look (but would never settle for a style bar).

So, if you're looking for added safety for everyday driving, then any of the
Boss Frogs, Hard Dogs or Brainstorms should cover you -- just get what
appeals to you. If you're racing, you really need to pay attention to specs
as mentioned by others.

Have fun...

Old March 12th 05, 11:16 PM
Daniel the Manual

"The Millers" > wrote in message
>I just ordered a D2 from Bethany Garage the other day. They are in stock
>and mine is supposed to ship this Monday.
>
> I don't race, so getting the double hoop was not an issue for me. I'm
> also not very tall, so the height of the the double hoop was not an issue.
> And, I just like the way they look (but would never settle for a style
> bar).
>
> So, if you're looking for added safety for everyday driving, then any of
> the Boss Frogs, Hard Dogs or Brainstorms should cover you -- just get what
> appeals to you. If you're racing, you really need to pay attention to
> specs as mentioned by others.

I am 6'3", do you know if there are any roll bars suitable for my height? I
won't be racing, just using on the road.

Dan TM.

Old March 12th 05, 11:46 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"Daniel the Manual" > wrote:

> I am 6'3", do you know if there are any roll bars suitable for my height? I
> won't be racing, just using on the road.

Since you probably won't want to adjust the seat other than all the way
back and reclined into the carpet, you may be happiest with one of the
bars that mounts a few inches farther rearward, such as the Hard Dog
Hard Top (single hoop) or Deuce (double hoop).

I'm tempted by the Deuce, but SWMBO doesn't like rollbars of any
sort--they make her feel enclosed, and spoil the roadster feeling.

--
Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
'94C
Old March 13th 05, 12:30 AM
James

> I'm tempted by the Deuce, but SWMBO doesn't like rollbars of any
> sort--they make her feel enclosed, and spoil the roadster feeling.

OK, please flesh-out SWMBO.

James

Old March 13th 05, 02:45 AM
Grant Edwards

On 2005-03-12, Lanny Chambers > wrote:

> I'm tempted by the Deuce,

I've got a Deuce and couldn't be happier with it.

> but SWMBO doesn't like rollbars of any
> sort--they make her feel enclosed, and spoil the roadster feeling.

Wha? Does she demand that the doors be removed as well?

You don't even know the Deuce is there 95% of the time. It's
barely visible in the rear-view mirror, and it certainly isn't
visible in my peripheral vision. The Duece is a lot less
obtrusive than a high back bucket seat or a headrest.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I just remembered
at something about a TOAD!
Old March 13th 05, 04:58 AM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
Grant Edwards > wrote:

> > but SWMBO doesn't like rollbars of any
> > sort--they make her feel enclosed, and spoil the roadster feeling.

> Wha? Does she demand that the doors be removed as well?
>
> You don't even know the Deuce is there 95% of the time.

Grant, my lad, one of these days you will be married. Then your eyes
will be opened (if not blackened) and all will become clear. In
marriage, as in war, the wise man chooses his battles with care.

:-)

--
Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
'94C
Old March 14th 05, 01:49 AM
Chris D'Agnolo

Well said, everyone likes to win a battle now and then ;-)

Funny.....

Chris
92BB&T