fuel guage problem

Old October 15th 05, 06:32 AM
Laz

Default fuel guage problem

Hi everyone;

We have a 2002 SL1 with 95000kms. We bought it new and recently the original
battery died without warning at a gas station after a fill up. When I got a
boost the odometer rolled back about 30000kms, the fuel gauge (which I had
just filled ) showed 75% and the airbag sensor remained lit. The next day I
took it in to my Saturn dealer to put in the new battery and check things
out. I needed a boost to get it there and this time the odometer and airbag
were normal- the fuel still showed 75% or so. When I got there car back from
Saturn the man there said the computer checked out ok and the weird stuff
might have been attributed to the boost- but the fuel gauge still showed
75%. The trip counter didn't work after I got my initial boost and I did
drive it around for about an hour to charge the battery for the morning; so
I could not be certain of my actual mileage since my fill up. I managed to
drive it over a week before the gauge got to about 25% and the gas price
seemed less outrageous before I refilled my tank, last night. The gauge
showed full so i thought everything was normal.This morning I had to go
somewhere and in the 1st 16kms on the highway I saw the gauge go from full
to 1/2 tank- that's right, 32kms a tank of gas....I slowed down bit ( from
120 to 100kph ) and the gauge stabilized, then started to creep back up ( to
75%) . Now I've done about 150kms, and its starting to show below 75% ( say
70%).

I intend to try to get an idea how much mileage I am getting on this tank
then take it back in to Saturn and have a look at it. I am wondering if any
of you have experienced any similar problems; what is the cause and cure ?

Thank you all in advance

Laz

Old October 15th 05, 12:55 PM
Blah Blah

To bad it didnt roll back to being under warranty

The only things I found that was simular was here
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/archive.../t-132901.html
Its a BMW site and the problems seemed to all involved installing
something. Likely the computer was damaged by a short from people not
disconnecting the battery.

Your battery may of had an internal short and may have damaged your cars
computer. I would have to look at the schematics for your car but I
think the fuel gage level is sent to the ECM or BCM and then to your
dash.

In article >,
says...

Old October 15th 05, 01:30 PM
Blah Blah

In article >,
says...
> To bad it didnt roll back to being under warranty
>
> The only things I found that was simular was here

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/archive.../t-132901.html
> Its a BMW site and the problems seemed to all involved installing
> something. Likely the computer was damaged by a short from people not
> disconnecting the battery.
>
> Your battery may of had an internal short and may have damaged your cars
> computer. I would have to look at the schematics for your car but I
> think the fuel gage level is sent to the ECM or BCM and then to your
> dash.

Sorry not an internal short, I missed the part about the boost. It was
the boost. Explain how and who boosted your car.

Old October 15th 05, 04:31 PM
Laz

The car is under warranty for 100000 kms or 5 yrs. ( we invested in GM's
Extended Warranty ). This might be a good thing, because I called GM's
roadside assistance when the car was stopped at the gas station (I had no
idea at first why the car won't start, and I don't really know anything
about cars) I had to wait about 1hr for the tow truck they sent ( during
which time I was able to see the battery was dead ) and the tow-truck
operator THEY sent gave me the boost ( which resulted in the screwed up
display ).
I'm thinking I've got a case in small claims for any parts or repair.

Laz