98 Neon, transmission whining

Old June 15th 04, 08:04 PM
Chris Szilagyi

Default 98 Neon, transmission whining

Hello,
I've been trying to find some more information in these groups on a
potential problem with my '98 Neon Highline (4 cyl, DOHC). Recently
about a year ago, the transmission started to make a "whining" noise
when put into reverse, both hot and cold (right away or with engine
warmed up). Putting the transmission in D and other gears is fine. I
changed the trans fluid & filter at around 50K miles, and it is still
doing the same thing (the fluid was OK, no big metal flakes or weird
foreign material). I've checked the fluid regularly since the car was
new, so I know the level has been fine. Can anybody tell me what
might be the cause of the "whining" noise, and if it is serious or
not????

The other weird problem is we cannot press the accelerator pedal down
as far as it should go, as it stops part-way, almost feels like
something under the pedal that is blocking it but we checked for that
inside the cab. Forcing the pedal past this stopping point actually
causes the transmission to shift to Neutral. I have started to check
the linkage and cabling from the trans to the intake area, etc. But
also wonering if anybody has seen or heard of this as well.

Thanks a lot for all feedback on these two problems! I hope the info
here can also help others.
--
Chris
Old June 16th 04, 04:36 AM
steve piskor

The whining is most likely caused by the gear teeth meshing on the back
side.I would`nt worry about it.
Your other problem is probably caused by the throttle lever shaft( at the
transmission end) sticking in or on top of the selector shaft and pulling
the selector shaft around with it.. Both are located under the battery. A
cable connects the throttle lever shaft between the transmission and the
throttle linkage.The shaft (approx 5/16 inch diameter) protrudes through
the selector shaft.It is supported by an e clip in a groove sitting on a
washer.There is also an oil seal under the washer.I had a problem with a
corroded washer causing the shaft to stick.You can check the freedom of
operation of the shaft by rotating its lever counterclockwise and
releasing it: It should rotate easily and spring back when
released.Lubricate the bottom of the shaft around the washer with
transmission fluid.Be careful if you have to remove the e clip and washer(
after removing the lever) because the shaft will drop into the

Old June 16th 04, 04:49 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Chris Szilagyi wrote:

> I've been trying to find some more information in these groups on a
> potential problem with my '98 Neon Highline (4 cyl, DOHC). Recently
> about a year ago, the transmission started to make a "whining" noise
> when put into reverse, both hot and cold (right away or with engine
> warmed up).

Usually this is caused in this transmission by the line pressure regulator
valve in the valve body. Probably sounds more like the "whistle" some home
hot-water pipes make when first turned on than like a "whine". It only
occurs in Reverse because operating pressure is much higher when in
Reverse than when in any other gear position. Won't hurt anything if this
is indeed the cause -- my '92 LeBaron with the same 3-speed automatic
transmission made this sound in Reverse for many years and miles -- but if
it's bothering you, turning the line pressure adjustment screw
counterclockwise about 5 turns the next time the pan is off will probably
make it go away, just like turning the hot water valve a tetch more open
would make the whistle go away.

> The other weird problem is we cannot press the accelerator pedal down
> as far as it should go, as it stops part-way, almost feels like
> something under the pedal that is blocking it but we checked for that
> inside the cab. Forcing the pedal past this stopping point actually
> causes the transmission to shift to Neutral.

Sounds like a bad kickdown cable is the first place to look, but it could
also be an internal problem. Probably not a serious or difficult one to
correct, though.

-Stern