Betta fins suddenly shredded

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 19th 05, 09:06 PM
Alpha

"Derek Benson" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 18 May 2005 19:00:28 GMT, Elaine T
wrote:

Ack! I have 2 bettas in a divided 2.5 gal tank with a Nano Filter. I
woke up this morning and both bettas' fins are in tatters. I'm talking
total, heartbreaking shreds. Both were in perfect shape last night. I
immediately tested the water, expecting to see ammonia but it was 0/0/5
ammonia/nitrite/nitrate as usual. I changed 60% of the water and added
extra AmQuel anyway. The tank has been cycled and stable for about 3
months and gets weekly 50% water changes. It also has a lot of java
moss that would tend to soak up an ammonia spike.

I also cleaned the filter, which gets some sunlight, and the inside was
coated with blue-green algae. I've heard of toxic cyanobacteria and was
wondering whether cyanobacteria toxins can cause fin problems and
nothing else? I'm grasping at straws.

Or did one of my bettas jump the 2 cm of divider that's not covered by
glass, neatly dodging the filter intake, fight his tankmate, and jump
back?!? There is no other way around or through the divider. A fight
fits the best but seems improbable. Both fish are eating, behaving
pretty normally, and nobody's talking.

What do you all think and does anyone have experience healing bettas'
fins after a fight? I always use very clean water and more frequent
feedings for fin damage, but I've never seen betta fins this badly
damaged. Are there any other betta specific tips or tricks?

Do you live alone, or are there other people in your household? If
you're not alone, after you went to bed someone else moved one of the
bettas to the other side because they wanted to see a fight. After the
fighting the betta was moved back.

Otherwise one of your bettas jumped over the partition in that 2 cm
area and then jumped back. This isn't unlikely at all, except for the
fact that it had to jump back the way it came, which does seem a bit
weird. How high was the water level compared to this 2cm space? Like
1cm from the water up to that area, or 5 cm? 1 or 2 cm can't be any
problem for a betta to jump, even though it has to hit that specific
small area.

I won't believe for one second that cyanobacteria or ammonia or pH
variations or anything else similar will cause a bettas fins to tatter
overnight. It sounds from your description that the fins are
physically ripped apart; these other "chemical" types of things, if
they are so bad as to cause a problem, would be likely to cause fins
to rot away over time, as if the fish has fin and tail rot, don't you
think?

Bettas fins always grow back out by themselves, don't do anything
different than what you usually do with the bettas.

-Derek

I have a betta alone in an Eclipse and had the same overnight shredding.
There is gravel and the intake for the eclipse, but no plants or other
objects. It always mystified me as it happens whenever I get a betta. I
have never seen the betta rub on the gravel.....

betta gone bad? John D. Goulden General 14 March 5th 05 06:07 PM
Betta with frayed fins Kelly General 9 June 18th 04 05:47 AM
My Red Fish is Sick - I Think He is Dying! jstass General 7 May 17th 04 01:26 AM
Shredded tail fins?!? AGreen1209 Goldfish 7 November 14th 03 10:44 PM
High Salt - Shredded Fins ~ jan JJsPond.us General 2 October 10th 03 10:15 PM