85 turbo - coughs on heavy accel load

Old January 19th 05, 09:50 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Default 85 turbo - coughs on heavy accel load

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, frenchy wrote:

> My 1985 lebaron Town and Country convertible clarification, this is a
> 2.2 turbo, 121,000 miles, runs fine around town, no idling problems,
> good get up and go. Only problem is if I happen to have to really push
> the motor, like trying to accelerate up a steep grade too quickly, or
> pass somebody and almost floor it, the motor will hesitate and lose
> power momentarily, as if the gas or ignition has almost been cut off,
> over and over again, till I lift off the gas a bit and accelerate
> slower. Sort of a "chug" where power drops out like it's going to die,
> then comes back quickly. What are the possible causes of this?

Depending on the timing of this "chug" event relative to when you mash the
accelerator, it could be that the computer is detecting an overboost
condition and is momentarily killing power to the ASD relay to bring the
situation under control, or it could be something less exotic. Your first
step is to check for flash codes.

To check the computer codes:

With the engine off, switch the ignition key on-off-on-off-on,
leaving it "ON". Do not
go to "start", just "on" during this procedure.

Watch the "Check Engine" or "Power Loss" light. It will turn on, then go
off, then will begin to flash-out any trouble codes that have been stored.
For instance, if it flashes:

flash <pause> flash flash
<long pause>
flash flash flash <pause> flash flash flash flash flash
<long pause>
flash flash flash flash flash <pause> flash flash flash flash flash

Then you have a 12 (one flash followed by two) a 35 (three and five) and a
55 (five and five). 55 means "end of codes" or, if by itself, "No codes
stored. Check the codes and report what you find.

> Maybe I should try a tank of premium first.

Maybe you should diagnose the problem systematically and fix what's
broken.

> Timing is set at Calif. factory setting. I think I changed the big fuel
> filter about 50K ago. Could it be dirty again and cause this?

Yes, you are overdue for a fuel filter by about 20,000 miles if you're
lazy, or 30,000 miles if you're smart.

What else is overdue on your car...?

DS
Old January 20th 05, 04:51 PM

Sounds to me like simple ignition weakness. Plugs and/or wires
shot, distributor cap worn out (did that model still have a
distributor?), coil weak. The spark has the hardest time jumping the
gap under the highest compression pressures, and that happens at
low-to-mid RPMs and wide-open throttle. Any weakening of the spark will
result in hesitation.

Dan