NoOption - question on your tires

Old August 20th 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Richard[_1_]

Default NoOption - question on your tires

"BradandBrooks" > wrote in message news:s%yFg.433610$IK3.234633@pd7tw1no...
Kumhos suck. My opinion. I got some tires recommended from a guy I know who rallys his car. They are Yokohamas, AVID H4S. Speed rated to 150 mph "v", with a great 500 tread wear rating and STICKY AS ****! They love to be pushed hard! And the price is right.

I was under the impression that "stickiness" and treadwear are inversely related. Sticky=low treadwear value. Not so sticky= longevity (high treadwear value). Am I wrong?

Richard

Old August 20th 06, 06:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
BradandBrooks

I too was under that impression til I got these Yokohamas.

They really are great tires and have good grip. Cheaper than BFG KDWS too.

I dunno, when I went in and ordered them from my tire guy, I asked him his
impressions, and he said, "When was the last time you bought a high
performance Japanese tire that sucked?" They certainly are better than the
Comp TAs I had on there.

Brad

Old August 22nd 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected]

that is interesting. tiresplus handles them 40 miles away. how do the
sidewalls feel in hard corners on the AVID h4s? how many pounds
pressure is max?

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 07:23:04 GMT, "BradandBrooks"
> wrote:

>Kumhos suck. My opinion. I got some tires recommended from a guy I know who
>rallys his car. They are Yokohamas, AVID H4S. Speed rated to 150 mph "v",
>with a great 500 tread wear rating and STICKY AS ****! They love to be
>pushed hard! And the price is right.
>
>Brad

.. .

Old August 23rd 06, 05:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
BradandBrooks

44psi is the max. Now, I must admit, I put 255s on my stock 7" 1993 rim, so
the sidewall does bulge. I understand that this actually reduces handling.
But they look so cool.... lol But yeah, they grip nice. Again, better
than the Comp TAs I had.

I went to Tirerack to see the reviews. Very positive when you consider they
are cheaper than other high performance tires and have a 500 treadwear
rating! I just love that part! Check it out.

Again, just my opinion.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Model=AVID+H4S

Brad

> wrote in message
that is interesting. tiresplus handles them 40 miles away. how do the
sidewalls feel in hard corners on the AVID h4s? how many pounds
pressure is max?

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 07:23:04 GMT, "BradandBrooks"
> wrote:

>Kumhos suck. My opinion. I got some tires recommended from a guy I know

who
>rallys his car. They are Yokohamas, AVID H4S. Speed rated to 150 mph "v",
>with a great 500 tread wear rating and STICKY AS ****! They love to be
>pushed hard! And the price is right.
>
>Brad

.. .

Old August 23rd 06, 07:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
J. Michael Gilker

Check your specs...

The Yoko AVID H4S are "H" rated = 130mph which is WAY too low for a GT
Pony or modified V6, and any reputable dealer will tell you that (they
probably won't even sell them to you if they know you're putting them on
a Mustang so they don't get sued WHEN they blow up). The AVID V4S are
the "V" rated model = 149mph but they aren't made in the stock GT size
of 245-45-17 (2004) so you'll have to get alternate sizing. I went
through all this when I looked at them last year and found it out. I
opted to go for the Kumho Ecsta ASX from a local dealer who had them in
stock and comparably priced to Tirerack. They are "W" rated = 168mph
with a 420 tread/30K miles. Tirerack has them cheaper than the Yokos but
I won't deal with them after getting screwed on another set of tires
(hint: if your tires aren't worn exactly evenly across the whole tread
of the tire then Tirerack will absolutely REJECT any claim, and since NO
car wears tires exactly evenly, because cars have to make turns, you're
automatically SOL). Buying locally, I get free balance and rotations for
life and for a few extra bucks per tire I got full replacement coverage
for damage, regardless of treadware (TR can't match that!).

I've had them for a year now and the Kumho's are running fine. Good
grip, low noise, and little wear. I can spin them if I want to but as
soon as I let off the gas they quickly snag the road and off I go!!!

Mike
'04GT Vert

Old August 24th 06, 07:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
BradandBrooks

I don't know what you're talking about.

Yes, H rated is 130mph. Can't remember the last time I did 130mph, but
sure, it's possible they'll blow up at 60mph.

Yes, I have the V-rated version (150mph) cause the Mustang CAN do 142mph.
But they still say HS4 on them. Go figure.

And yes, mine are 255/50/16s. Again, go figure.

Brad

PS: Your car won't go 168mph, FYI. Does that make them stickier? Not
necessarily. Speed rating is a resistance to heat over extended periods of
time, not grip.

Old August 25th 06, 03:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
.boB[_1_]

BradandBrooks wrote:

> I don't know what you're talking about.
>
> Yes, H rated is 130mph. Can't remember the last time I did 130mph, but
> sure, it's possible they'll blow up at 60mph.
>
> Yes, I have the V-rated version (150mph) cause the Mustang CAN do
> 142mph. But they still say HS4 on them. Go figure.
>
> And yes, mine are 255/50/16s. Again, go figure.
>
> Brad
>
> PS: Your car won't go 168mph, FYI. Does that make them stickier? Not
> necessarily. Speed rating is a resistance to heat over extended periods
> of time, not grip.

High speed rated tires are generally made from a harder rubber, and generally not
as sticky as "lesser" tires. The get the speed rating by handeling the heat and
rotational forces involved in those speeds. Not by being sticky enough to handle and
on ramp at 150mph.

If you really drive the car hard you're better off with a lower rated tire, it
will corner better.

--
..boB
Arrived: 2006 FXDI, Red.