Manual Tranny Oil Leak - '99 TJ Sahara

Old March 20th 06, 12:56 AM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Manual Tranny Oil Leak - '99 TJ Sahara

All,

My tranny was rebuilt at a local transmission shop last month. It's
shifting fine after rebuilt, but...a few days after the tranny was rebuilt,
I noticed tranny oil accumulation on the ground, rendering the Jeep
non-drivable (long haul anyway) as you never know how much tranny oil you
really lost! It never leaked before the rebuilt.

Took Jeep back to shop. Was told they identified the leak source -- the
shifter connection seal had to be tightened, which apparently they did.
Drove off the shop - slow leak continued after several hours. This time I
crawled under Jeep and was able to see that the leak was apparently
originating from the lower area of the tranny, possibly from the very bottom
(where the 4 inverted-vertical bolts are located; I think these bolts hold
the tranny in place - not sure). The area above the bottom, all the way
around to the top, looked and felt dry.

Took Jeep back to shop, this time was told they identified the leakage at
one of these vertical bottom bolts. Was told these bolts go through the
entire tranny. They said they resealed it (could see fresh seal). Drove
off. A few hours later leak continued to accumulate on the ground!...
Crawled under Jeep. Still looked as if the oil comes from the bottom. All
higher tranny external structure appears to be dry.

Will take Jeep back to shop tomorrow. In the meantime, anybody experienced
such a tranny leak? Although the tranny is under a 90 day warranty after
re-built, I'm starting to have the feeling that the shop staff members are
not very competent and they give me the runaround.

Any comment would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Hovav
'99 Manual TJ Sahara

Old March 20th 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Hi Hovav,
Going to have split the cases:
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/trans/ax15b.jpg
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old March 20th 06, 02:14 AM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

It sounds as if they forgot to put sealer somewhere it is required. They do
sound incompetent, and I imagine that the transmission will have to be
completely disassembled and properly reassembled, before it stops leaking.
Does it run OK?

Good luck.

Earle

. com...

Old March 20th 06, 02:21 PM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Trying to patch a leak like that after the fact is just about
impossible. Once wet with oil, most 'glues' or RTV won't stick.

They likely will need to tear into it again....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 26th 06, 08:22 PM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I have a '99 Sarah as well and some times it doesn't go into first and
just "pops out" when letting out the clutch. I am nervous about
finding some one to rebuilding it as your post indicates. What
prompted you to get it rebuilt?

Old March 26th 06, 09:00 PM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Normally popping out of 1st or reverse is a bad engine or tranny
mount...

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's