97 Cherokee has bitten the dust

Old March 17th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default 97 Cherokee has bitten the dust

I am not a lawyer, but the defendant's insurance company is a party of
interest, even in a small claims suit. They are not liable to pay any
judgment until they have had their say in court. A responsible judge would
refuse to try the case, unless the insurance company had been properly
notified and had a representative present.

Earle

"Herb Leong" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Stupendous Man > wrote:
> #the tranmission, suspension, engine, brakes, etc and made it a fine car.

It
> #got T-boned in California by a woman who admitted fault, and her

insurance,
> #Farmers, looked in Autotrader and offered $3800. My state licensed
> #independant appraiser evaluated the car at $9100. Farmer's wont

negotiate,
> #so I am suing the driver of the vehicle in small claims in a couple of

weeks
> #for the maximum of $7500. I have much documentation and am confident of

> #win. I'll bet she isn't happy with her insurance company now!
> Well, Farmer's is still on the hook for the lawsuit's results up to the
> limit in the coverage. They (and that is ANY CA insurace company) just
> figure that most people will just take the money and STFU. It's their
> response to CA's insurance laws. CA tries to screw the insurance co.s
> and they turn around and try to screw the people they insure. The
> smarter companies pulled out of the CA market ages ago or set up a shell
> company to insulate the main company from CA's laws.
>
> #Bottom line, Check the laws for Montana, Talk to an insurance agent who

is

Old March 22nd 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

To all who responded, many thanks! BTW, I left out the part that there
were no injuries. My son was outside the jeep and had the tow line
ripped out of his hand and the GF was strapped into the passenger
seat. Neither were hurt and all is well with them.

The insurance company has offered a few cents over $6k for it. I
couldn't get any credit for the brand new (< 6 months old) KO's I out
on it and am still having a hard time getting an actual cash value
measure for it. They are sending me their research results and I'm
still working on having something to send back. What a hassle!

Again, thanks to everyone!

As a side note, I use FireFox and I can't seem to get Edmands.com to
list the vehicles in the drop down boxes. I must have something that
is preventing it set up in FF but can't find which setting would stop
that. I turned of the pop up blocker and still no luck. Oh well, back
to the search!

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 16:18:42 -0500, Scott in Baltimore

Old March 23rd 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Price is low considering the condition.

Some of the web sites do not run all options with anything except
Microwost IE

Old March 23rd 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I do not doubt that it will cost more than $6k to replace this vehicle, but
the insurance company is in business to make money. They have to go by
their "research results" and what kind of dividend checks their investors
would like to see. A '97 is going on ten years old. It has suffered lots
of depreciation and, on the average, considerable wear and tear.

If you must own a vehicle that is worth, to you, considerably more than an
insurance company will be willing to pay for it, then you need to look real
carefully at how you will replace it, in the unfortunate event of a total
loss. You need to put all those premiums you pay into the formula too. All
of my vehicles are self-insured. You might want to look at the true value
of all those "bells and whistles" too. Heck, it wasn't even a Grand.

Some of you are going to say, "That is OK for you Earle. You are rich. But
we poor slobs have to work for a living. We can't afford to replace
vehicles all the time." Hey, I earned all my money, by working. Sometimes,
the truth hurts. But it's a good kind of hurt, if you accept what it is
trying to teach you.

Earle

ink.net...

Old March 25th 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Earl,

How did you earn all that money? Just curious and always looking for
ways to improve my means.

Does being self insured protect you from litigation in the event
someone decides to take you to court? I would think a simple medical
claim would be more than you save in several years by being self
insured.

jl

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 18:45:38 -0700, "Earle Horton"
> wrote:

>I do not doubt that it will cost more than $6k to replace this vehicle, but
>the insurance company is in business to make money. They have to go by
>their "research results" and what kind of dividend checks their investors
>would like to see. A '97 is going on ten years old. It has suffered lots
>of depreciation and, on the average, considerable wear and tear.
>
>If you must own a vehicle that is worth, to you, considerably more than an
>insurance company will be willing to pay for it, then you need to look real
>carefully at how you will replace it, in the unfortunate event of a total
>loss. You need to put all those premiums you pay into the formula too. All
>of my vehicles are self-insured. You might want to look at the true value
>of all those "bells and whistles" too. Heck, it wasn't even a Grand.
>
>Some of you are going to say, "That is OK for you Earle. You are rich. But
>we poor slobs have to work for a living. We can't afford to replace
>vehicles all the time." Hey, I earned all my money, by working. Sometimes,
>the truth hurts. But it's a good kind of hurt, if you accept what it is
>trying to teach you.
>
>Earle

link.net...

Old March 25th 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Earle once showed us one of his W-2s from Mickeysoft, where there
was something around a million dollars in withholding.
I wouldn't self insure myself in these litigious days where
punitive damages may exceed billions of dollars via these Bleeding Heart
Liberal Wacko Limps that seem to be seated on juries.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old March 25th 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I have liability insurance on all my vehicles, and the homeowner's insurance
has a million dollar liability limit, or something like that. I was talking
about the value of the vehicles, "collision", "comprehensive", etc. Unless
you buy a new car every two years, that sort of coverage is probably more
expensive than it is worth. Although my Jeep, for example, is worth a lot
to me, I doubt an insurance company would give me even $5,000 for it. The
Suburban? Don't make me laugh! Why would I pay more than the value of a
vehicle, over years, just so an insurance company can offer to settle for
pennies on the dollar? The house is a different story. If it burned to the
ground, I would stand to pocket a half million, the way real estate is in
Silverton now. Liability is a different story too, but liability insurance,
unless you're a surgeon, is a lot cheaper than vehicle collision repair
insurance.

This fellow with the '97 Cherokee is a perfect example of what could happen,
if you tried to insure something that depreciated as fast as a motor
vehicle. That $6,000 his insurance company offered him, is not going to go
far towards replacing a vehicle that he considers worth a lot more. He
would have been better putting the premiums into a bank account or Philip
Morris stock.

Earle

"L.W. (ßill) Hughes III" > wrote in message
> Earle once showed us one of his W-2s from Mickeysoft, where there
> was something around a million dollars in withholding.
> I wouldn't self insure myself in these litigious days where
> punitive damages may exceed billions of dollars via these Bleeding Heart
> Liberal Wacko Limps that seem to be seated on juries.
> God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
> http://www.billhughes.com/
>
> wrote:
> >
> > Earl,
> >
> > How did you earn all that money? Just curious and always looking for
> > ways to improve my means.
> >
> > Does being self insured protect you from litigation in the event
> > someone decides to take you to court? I would think a simple medical
> > claim would be more than you save in several years by being self
> > insured.
> >
> > jl

*** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from
http://www.SecureIX.com ***
Old March 25th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Hi Earle,
I dropped collision, comprehensive, too:
http://www.billhughes.com/wawanesa05.jpg
I save all reicepts, as a friend was forced to present, when his
'73 El Camino was stolen, his insurance finally came up from junk value
to about half what he had in it, at about ten grand.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old March 25th 06, 03:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Bill,

I paid $25,000 out of pocket for a hip replacement last year, but over time
I still pay less than my retired neighbors who insist on "full" medical
coverage. This year I shopped around and reduced that deductible to
$10,000. If my wife sticks with that nursing job she just got, we can
reduce that to $4,000, per person. Many people flinch at the thought of
$25,000, $10,000 or even $4,000 for a deductible, but when you compare that
with the cost of premiums that you or your employer are paying, then it is
not so much.