Any Tranny False Alarms? or All Bad?

Old January 17th 06, 08:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Any Tranny False Alarms? or All Bad?

'96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Loredo with 126K miles. At 110K Miles it
receive a major tranny repair. I'm in NYC & with cold weather...it taks
FOREVER for this car to warm up. If trying to drive without sufficient
warm up...the car will not move forward w/accelerated depressed when in
Drive or 2nd or 1st gear.

Car sat overnight in the teens (weather-wise) and this morning....after
15 minutes of warm up...ran very very very rough (transmission
wise...not engine). Car basically came to a crawl...and soon....no
forward motion (while in DRIVE)....and accelerating. It was about 28
degrees. Plates are spinning, teeth not catching...it seems.

Is there a common tranny adjustment that I might be due for?....are
there things that happen that seem like a new tranny is due....when in
reality it's a "X" adjustment/replacement? Perhaps something w/the
plates, cables, etc....don't know a whole lot about this tranny. I
know I can be looking at a whole new tranny rebuild possibly. But shy
of that...anything to check/look into? When I take it to a shop...I'd
like to walk in an at least seem like I know what I am talking
about..in efforts to reduce the shop perhaps taking me for a ride.

Any clues, tips, or hints appreciated. I do have complete and full
power in reverse of course.

Thanks
Lance

Old January 17th 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Have you crossed any creeks or deep puddles lately? You almost could be
describing a frozen up transmission.

Jeep transmissions do not have high water vent lines for some really
strange reason.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 17th 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

You are one pint low of automatic transmission fluid.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 17th 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

What kind of warranty did you get with that transmission repair at 110k?
How long will it take you to get to the repair shop in reverse? No, there
is nothing obvious you can do, except make sure that the oil level is up.

Earle

oups.com...

Old January 17th 06, 09:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

the wife took the car in for an oil change and transmission oil change
a week ago (at one of these chain shops). they changed the filter
(transmission)....and could have very well not placed in adaquate
fluid. i will check this tonight. thanks
Lance

Old January 17th 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

could be. i am going to check the oil level tonight....but i do have
complete and full power and the car operates fine in reverse. i am
hoping it's an oil issue of course.

one other thing i forgot to mention...the car basically stopped on my
and i parked it on the street after it would not go forward while in
gear (only backward). I left the car parked (10am)...came back to the
car at 11:30 am and was able to get the car to go foward in
motion...however only for about 300 feet or so and i parked it again.
had to go to work, will check the oil tonight and let you know.

thanks
lance

Old January 19th 06, 01:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"Earle Horton" > wrote in message
om...
: What kind of warranty did you get with that transmission repair at 110k?
: How long will it take you to get to the repair shop in reverse?

OH MY GOD!! FOFLMFAO!!!
Earle, that is funny as hell!

KJK.

:
: > wrote in message
: oups.com...
: > '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Loredo with 126K miles. At 110K Miles it
: > receive a major tranny repair. I'm in NYC & with cold weather...it taks
: > FOREVER for this car to warm up. If trying to drive without sufficient
: > warm up...the car will not move forward w/accelerated depressed when in
: > Drive or 2nd or 1st gear.
: >