Hitch?

Old May 3rd 05, 12:11 PM
B a r r y

Bob wrote:
> I'm thinking of adding a hitch to my 2001 Wrangler for occasional light
> home project and recreational use. What do I need to know before
> choosing and what brands are recommended?

I installed a Hidden Hitch 2" receiver on my '99. From a web vendor it
was less than $150, shipped, including wiring and a drawbar insert. It
attached with (6) bolts that were easily threaded through the box frame
using the leaders included in the hitch box. The wiring consisted of
disconnecting a plug in the wheel well, inserting a "y", and reconnecting.

I *think* the vendor was Hitches4Less.com.

The whole deal took us less than an hour, and that included sips of our
beers. <G> A second person is very handy to help hold the hitch in
place while the first two bolts go through.

I've put the same brand hitches on (2) Subaru Outbacks, a Caravan, a
Nissan truck, and on the front of my TJ. All were equally brainless
installations. For peace of mind, I towed something a short distance
and rechecked the bolts.

Barry
Old May 3rd 05, 12:59 PM
Bob

Default Hitch?

I'm thinking of adding a hitch to my 2001 Wrangler for occasional light
home project and recreational use. What do I need to know before
choosing and what brands are recommended?

Thanx,
Bob
Old May 3rd 05, 01:01 PM
RoyJ

Get a 2" receiver hitch. Your TJ doesn't need the load capacity usually
found in that size hitch but there are all sorts of nice acessories that
plug right in: bike rack, tow hook, platform rack, etc.

The aftermarket bumpers often have the 2" reciever integrated in for not
much more than the price of a decent hitch.

Old May 4th 05, 03:35 AM
Drifter

On 3 May 2005 06:59:05 -0500, Bob > wrote:

>I'm thinking of adding a hitch to my 2001 Wrangler for occasional light
>home project and recreational use. What do I need to know before
>choosing and what brands are recommended?
>
>Thanx,
>Bob

Remember that the Wrangler has a pretty light towing capacity, not
because of engine/transmission but due to the short wheelbase. If you
try to tow something too heavy you may wind up having the "tail wag
the dog" as it were (that which you are towing may start shoving your
jeep around... really bad/possibly fatal on downhill curves).

If you are going to stay within the capabilities of a Wrangler you
won't need more than a class II hitch.

Your local U-Haul sells hitches (and most will also install), also
places like this http://tinyurl.com/exqrd

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."
Old May 4th 05, 03:39 AM
DougW

Drifter did pass the time by typing:
> On 3 May 2005 06:59:05 -0500, Bob > wrote:
>
>> I'm thinking of adding a hitch to my 2001 Wrangler for occasional light
>> home project and recreational use. What do I need to know before
>> choosing and what brands are recommended?
>>
>> Thanx,
>> Bob

> Remember that the Wrangler has a pretty light towing capacity, not
> because of engine/transmission but due to the short wheelbase. If you
> try to tow something too heavy you may wind up having the "tail wag
> the dog" as it were (that which you are towing may start shoving your
> jeep around... really bad/possibly fatal on downhill curves).
>
> If you are going to stay within the capabilities of a Wrangler you
> won't need more than a class II hitch.
>
> Your local U-Haul sells hitches (and most will also install), also
> places like this http://tinyurl.com/exqrd

From what I've noticed class II hitches don't have many things made
for them; like tow hooks, bike racks, etc. Class III (2") is more
common in the accessories arena. Suggest checking on what all you
might want to use it for first. However, the point on towing limits
is very important. Never go outside the max printed on the vehicle
tag. It's not just dangerous it's deadly dangerous.

--
DougW

Old May 4th 05, 12:21 PM
B a r r y

DougW wrote:

> From what I've noticed class II hitches don't have many things made
> for them; like tow hooks, bike racks, etc. Class III (2") is more
> common in the accessories arena. Suggest checking on what all you
> might want to use it for first. However, the point on towing limits
> is very important. Never go outside the max printed on the vehicle
> tag. It's not just dangerous it's deadly dangerous.

Reinforcing the point:

Go with a 2" for usability, but stay within Jeep's weight and size
limits for trailers.

Items like 4 bike racks, rear platforms, winches, tire carriers, etc...
are often only available with 2" tubes. Smaller bike racks are
available in 1 1/4".

Don't ask me how I know how scary stopping a 1500 lb trailer on a wet
surface when your TJ has leaky rear drum cylinders (a.k.a. no back
brakes) is... The trailer was within the ratings, but the rear brake
problem was an unknown.

The only downside of a 2" is many shops won't install it, as their
lawyers won't let them. It will have to be installed at home, but it's
easy to do.

My last three Wranglers have suffered the rear brake slave cylinder
failure at least once.

Barry

Old May 7th 05, 04:45 AM
twaldron

I suggest looking at an integrated bumper with a 2" receiver built in
for mounting accessories. It keeps your clearance and gives you a real
bumper.

Bob wrote:

> I'm thinking of adding a hitch to my 2001 Wrangler for occasional light
> home project and recreational use. What do I need to know before
> choosing and what brands are recommended?
>
> Thanx,
> Bob

tw

71 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco
03 TJ Rubicon - Rubicon Express 4.5"
01 XJ Sport

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
-- Dave Barry

Pronunciation: 'jEp
Function: noun
Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase')
A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80-inch wheelbase,
1/4-ton capacity, and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in
World War II.

(Please remove the OBVIOUS to reply by email)
Old May 11th 05, 09:27 PM
Bob

twaldron > wrote in
:

> I suggest looking at an integrated bumper with a 2" receiver built in
> for mounting accessories. It keeps your clearance and gives you a real
> bumper.
>
> Bob wrote:
>
>> I'm thinking of adding a hitch to my 2001 Wrangler for occasional
>> light home project and recreational use. What do I need to know
>> before choosing and what brands are recommended?
>>
>> Thanx,
>> Bob

Can you provide a couple of online purchase sources for the "integrated"
bumper and receiver?
Old May 11th 05, 10:05 PM
brianc

Explorer Pro-Comp makes a nice "Rock Bumper" with 2 inch reciever.
Tough looking and easy to install. I got both front and a back matching
bumpers and it really gave me a more stylish/aggresive look than stock.
They are powder coated and faily thick-walled. The front will not have
holes for your license plate. You will have to drill or maybe your in
a state that does not require a front plate?

www.4wheelparts.com is where I found them.

bjc