Suggestions on how to clean/wash carburetor

Old April 6th 05, 05:45 AM

Default Suggestions on how to clean/wash carburetor

I am going to attempt to rebuild carburetor for '88 Chevy Nova.
My immediate problem is how to wash the parts. I asked at several
auto part stores, and it appears they no longer sell petroleum
based solvent in quantity that I can deep parts (except 5 gallon
carburetor deep or carburetor cleaning spray). I am thinking,
spray wouldn't be enough to clean all the gums that acculated over the
years. So, I am leaning toward using strong detergent like
Simple Green to wash gums and use paint thinner for inner/finer
parts.
1. What you use to wash carburetor parts these days.
2. Are carburetor rebuild kits (from NAPA, AutoZone, etc.) any
good? What these kits have anyways.

TIA.

Old April 6th 05, 01:30 PM

the EPA, DNR, etc. have made life so difficult for the home mechanic, I
suggest you replace it with a unit from a local parts house or use a
rebuilder such as "national carburetor" in Jacksonville, Fl.

Old April 6th 05, 06:08 PM
Steve

> 1. What you use to wash carburetor parts these days.

My parts washer, filled with Varsol, "Solvent 140," "SafetyKleen" or
equivalent. A local auto parts store carries 5-gallon drums of
Solvent140, so thats what I genereally use.

> 2. Are carburetor rebuild kits (from NAPA, AutoZone, etc.) any
> good? What these kits have anyways.

Napa sells good kits. I wouldn't trust Autogroan- some of their stuff is
supplied by quality vendors, a lot isn't. Its kinda hit and miss with them.

Old April 6th 05, 06:20 PM
Mike Romain

I use the carb cleaner spray and spray everything down inside a tray I
make by cutting the side off a WW washer fluid jug. The spray stays
liquid for a long time and I use a round parts brush to scrub with.

I find a first spray to soak, let it sit in the tray with all the
smaller bits soaking in the bottom, then I give it a scrub and a second
spray to finish up.

Normally one can of cleaner does me this way.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old April 7th 05, 05:35 AM

Mike Romain wrote:
> I use the carb cleaner spray and spray everything down inside a tray

> make by cutting the side off a WW washer fluid jug. The spray stays
> liquid for a long time and I use a round parts brush to scrub with.
>
> I find a first spray to soak, let it sit in the tray with all the
> smaller bits soaking in the bottom, then I give it a scrub and a

second
> spray to finish up.

Thanks much to all who replied. This is what I am leaning to
do. To use scrub and strong soap/decreaser to wash exterior,
then use combination of gentle scrub/wash and spray for smaller/
finer parts. Again, thanks much.