radio display dim

Old July 26th 08, 04:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

Default radio display dim

Display comletely off. No lights at all.

Tried the fix of resoldering the terminations on the described board
and had great success! Plugged in and the lights came on. As
mentioned in the string there are three high power resistors on top of
the surface mount components. The SMD terminations appeared to have
cracks in them from the heat stress (board was brown under these high
power resistors). Re-fluxed and used a low wattage soldering iron (12
watt).

2000 Ford Explorer 2x2 Eddie Bauer. 184k miles.....

Thanks for the post. Saved me a lot of time and money!!!!!!!!!!
Old July 26th 08, 06:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Allan Williams

When I did mine a few years back I also moved those high wattage resistors
away from the board a bit so they didn't heat it up underneath so much.
Haven't had the issue since.

Unfortunately now my radio has started turning itself off on it's own or
enabling the "Speed Volume" feature and adjusting the volume wildly. From
what I understand it's an issue with the volume knob itself. Haven't had a
chance to look at it yet but if anyone has any tips...

Al