Ignition Wire Replacement

Old February 25th 07, 02:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Elle

Default Ignition Wire Replacement

My 1991 Civic's OEM ignition wires are now five years and
66k miles old. The 1991 owner's manual replacement interval
is four years/60k miles. Tegger says he does his on his 1991
Integra at five years, period, though he lives in a northern
climate in Canada (and I like what he says about ignition
components). I live "out west" where in summer it's kinda
hot, and for nine months of the year it's pretty darn warm.
I would think the higher heat where I live would argue for
more frequent replacement than Tegger's schedule.

The following has been on my mind:

I check the wires' resistances once a year. The resistances
haven't moved since purchase. I wash the wires off with
water about twice a year. They do get pretty dusty. My 1991
Honda continues to get great fuel mileage, continuing to
average about 40 mpg around town even in winter. Last summer
on a 1000 mile highway trip, the car got 45 mpg.

Is there anything undetectable, so to speak, that could be
going on with my Honda's ignition wires that would warrant
replacing them a.s.a.p.? Or could I go another year without
replacing them?

I also remember reading here that ignition wires made today
(or thereabouts) last a lot longer than those made in 1991.
Comments?

Old February 25th 07, 03:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
motsco_[_1_]

Elle wrote:
> My 1991 Civic's OEM ignition wires are now five years and
> 66k miles old. The 1991 owner's manual replacement interval
> is four years/60k miles. Tegger says he does his on his 1991
> Integra at five years, period, though he lives in a northern
> climate in Canada (and I like what he says about ignition
> components). I live "out west" where in summer it's kinda
> hot, and for nine months of the year it's pretty darn warm.
> I would think the higher heat where I live would argue for
> more frequent replacement than Tegger's schedule.
>
> The following has been on my mind:
>
> I check the wires' resistances once a year. The resistances
> haven't moved since purchase. I wash the wires off with
> water about twice a year. They do get pretty dusty. My 1991
> Honda continues to get great fuel mileage, continuing to
> average about 40 mpg around town even in winter. Last summer
> on a 1000 mile highway trip, the car got 45 mpg.
>
> Is there anything undetectable, so to speak, that could be
> going on with my Honda's ignition wires that would warrant
> replacing them a.s.a.p.? Or could I go another year without
> replacing them?
>
> I also remember reading here that ignition wires made today
> (or thereabouts) last a lot longer than those made in 1991.
> Comments?

=====================================

My oldest Honda is a '97, and I think handling them more than necessary
is a bad thing since it's the copper connectors that get pulled apart
from the wire, or loose their 'grip' from being yanked about. As long as
they are OEM wires I'd think you can go almost forever on them. Wiping
them down with some silicone might not be a bad idea just to keep them
supple and clean, but other than that, do (newer) Honda wires ever go
'bad' ? ?

'Curly'
Old February 25th 07, 04:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
jim beam

Elle wrote:
> My 1991 Civic's OEM ignition wires are now five years and
> 66k miles old. The 1991 owner's manual replacement interval
> is four years/60k miles. Tegger says he does his on his 1991
> Integra at five years, period, though he lives in a northern
> climate in Canada (and I like what he says about ignition
> components). I live "out west" where in summer it's kinda
> hot, and for nine months of the year it's pretty darn warm.
> I would think the higher heat where I live would argue for
> more frequent replacement than Tegger's schedule.
>
> The following has been on my mind:
>
> I check the wires' resistances once a year.

resistance is no indication of h.v. leakage. just like a coil can test
"ok" for resistance, but spark internally to earth at high voltage.

> The resistances
> haven't moved since purchase. I wash the wires off with
> water about twice a year. They do get pretty dusty. My 1991
> Honda continues to get great fuel mileage, continuing to
> average about 40 mpg around town even in winter. Last summer
> on a 1000 mile highway trip, the car got 45 mpg.
>
> Is there anything undetectable, so to speak, that could be
> going on with my Honda's ignition wires that would warrant
> replacing them a.s.a.p.? Or could I go another year without
> replacing them?

if they're working for you, i see no reason not to continue using them,
but personally, i'd replace them.

> I also remember reading here that ignition wires made today
> (or thereabouts) last a lot longer than those made in 1991.
> Comments?

that may be the case, but i can't say i know that to be fact. i use
coiled core leads on both my civic and crx - they're noticeably better
in both cases across all conditions. i wouldn't go back to traditional
oem polymer core leads.
Old February 25th 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Grumpy AuContraire

Elle wrote:
> My 1991 Civic's OEM ignition wires are now five years and
> 66k miles old. The 1991 owner's manual replacement interval
> is four years/60k miles. Tegger says he does his on his 1991
> Integra at five years, period, though he lives in a northern
> climate in Canada (and I like what he says about ignition
> components). I live "out west" where in summer it's kinda
> hot, and for nine months of the year it's pretty darn warm.
> I would think the higher heat where I live would argue for
> more frequent replacement than Tegger's schedule.
>
> The following has been on my mind:
>
> I check the wires' resistances once a year. The resistances
> haven't moved since purchase. I wash the wires off with
> water about twice a year. They do get pretty dusty. My 1991
> Honda continues to get great fuel mileage, continuing to
> average about 40 mpg around town even in winter. Last summer
> on a 1000 mile highway trip, the car got 45 mpg.
>
> Is there anything undetectable, so to speak, that could be
> going on with my Honda's ignition wires that would warrant
> replacing them a.s.a.p.? Or could I go another year without
> replacing them?
>
> I also remember reading here that ignition wires made today
> (or thereabouts) last a lot longer than those made in 1991.
> Comments?

Best to leave sleeping dogs alone. You'll get symptoms when the wires
need replacing...

JT

(Don't spend more than you hafta...)
Old February 25th 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
jim beam

motsco_ wrote:
> Elle wrote:
>> My 1991 Civic's OEM ignition wires are now five years and 66k miles
>> old. The 1991 owner's manual replacement interval is four years/60k
>> miles. Tegger says he does his on his 1991 Integra at five years,
>> period, though he lives in a northern climate in Canada (and I like
>> what he says about ignition components). I live "out west" where in
>> summer it's kinda hot, and for nine months of the year it's pretty
>> darn warm. I would think the higher heat where I live would argue for
>> more frequent replacement than Tegger's schedule.
>>
>> The following has been on my mind:
>>
>> I check the wires' resistances once a year. The resistances haven't
>> moved since purchase. I wash the wires off with water about twice a
>> year. They do get pretty dusty. My 1991 Honda continues to get great
>> fuel mileage, continuing to average about 40 mpg around town even in
>> winter. Last summer on a 1000 mile highway trip, the car got 45 mpg.
>>
>> Is there anything undetectable, so to speak, that could be going on
>> with my Honda's ignition wires that would warrant replacing them
>> a.s.a.p.? Or could I go another year without replacing them?
>>
>> I also remember reading here that ignition wires made today (or
>> thereabouts) last a lot longer than those made in 1991. Comments?

> =====================================
>
> My oldest Honda is a '97, and I think handling them more than necessary
> is a bad thing since it's the copper connectors that get pulled apart
> from the wire, or loose their 'grip' from being yanked about.

plug leads don't have copper conductors any more. most use a conductive
elastomer core, the so-called "high resistance" leads. higher quality
leads use a coiled [stainless] wire core.

Old February 25th 07, 11:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
AZ Nomad

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 14:56:08 GMT, Elle > wrote:

>My 1991 Civic's OEM ignition wires are now five years and
>66k miles old. The 1991 owner's manual replacement interval
>is four years/60k miles. Tegger says he does his on his 1991
>Integra at five years, period, though he lives in a northern
>climate in Canada (and I like what he says about ignition
>components). I live "out west" where in summer it's kinda
>hot, and for nine months of the year it's pretty darn warm.
>I would think the higher heat where I live would argue for
>more frequent replacement than Tegger's schedule.

>The following has been on my mind:

>I check the wires' resistances once a year. The resistances
>haven't moved since purchase. I wash the wires off with
>water about twice a year. They do get pretty dusty. My 1991

if it works, don't fix it
Old February 26th 07, 12:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Tegger

"Elle" > wrote in news:cshEh.6305
:

> My 1991 Civic's OEM ignition wires are now five years and
> 66k miles old. The 1991 owner's manual replacement interval
> is four years/60k miles. Tegger says he does his on his 1991
> Integra at five years, period, though he lives in a northern
> climate in Canada (and I like what he says about ignition
> components). I live "out west" where in summer it's kinda
> hot, and for nine months of the year it's pretty darn warm.
> I would think the higher heat where I live would argue for
> more frequent replacement than Tegger's schedule.

Maybe not. Other than from unusual physical trauma, OEM ignition wires fail
primarily due to insulation breakdown. This is impossible to measure with a
multimeter.

If your area experiences very high summer heat, I suppose that may
contribute to insulation breakdown.

> Is there anything undetectable, so to speak, that could be
> going on with my Honda's ignition wires that would warrant
> replacing them a.s.a.p.? Or could I go another year without
> replacing them?
>
> I also remember reading here that ignition wires made today
> (or thereabouts) last a lot longer than those made in 1991.

Could be. I'd be willing to guess the insulating polymers are probably more
robust than those available 16 years ago.

If you get a good strong spark at the plugs, and you never have signs of
weaker starting when the weather is very wet and the car is cold, your
wires are almost certainly just fine.

I've personally found that wires tend to start leaking current once they
get past seven years of age. You can tell leakage easily: Engine running,
wires soaking wet, grab a wire with your hand. No shock? It's fine. Get a
tickle? It's failing. Get a jolt? It's gone.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old February 26th 07, 02:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Graham W

Tegger wrote:
> "Elle" > wrote in news:cshEh.6305
> :
>
>> My 1991 Civic's OEM ignition wires are now five years and
>> 66k miles old. The 1991 owner's manual replacement interval
>> is four years/60k miles. Tegger says he does his on his 1991
>> Integra at five years, period, though he lives in a northern
>> climate in Canada (and I like what he says about ignition
>> components). I live "out west" where in summer it's kinda
>> hot, and for nine months of the year it's pretty darn warm.
>> I would think the higher heat where I live would argue for
>> more frequent replacement than Tegger's schedule.

> Maybe not. Other than from unusual physical trauma, OEM ignition wires
> fail primarily due to insulation breakdown. This is impossible to
> measure with a multimeter.
>
> If your area experiences very high summer heat, I suppose that may
> contribute to insulation breakdown.
>

>> Is there anything undetectable, so to speak, that could be
>> going on with my Honda's ignition wires that would warrant
>> replacing them a.s.a.p.? Or could I go another year without
>> replacing them?
>>
>> I also remember reading here that ignition wires made today
>> (or thereabouts) last a lot longer than those made in 1991.

> Could be. I'd be willing to guess the insulating polymers are probably
> more robust than those available 16 years ago.
>
> If you get a good strong spark at the plugs, and you never have signs of
> weaker starting when the weather is very wet and the car is cold, your
> wires are almost certainly just fine.
>
> I've personally found that wires tend to start leaking current once they
> get past seven years of age. You can tell leakage easily: Engine
> running, wires soaking wet, grab a wire with your hand. No shock? It's
> fine. Get a tickle? It's failing. Get a jolt? It's gone.

Just to add... If you look under hood when the engine is cold and
it's dark, can you see any sparks coming off the surface of the wires
with the engine just started?
They will be pretty faint and difficult to see but will indicate that the
insulation
is failing. It's less painful than John's method above but not as
definitive.
Otherwise I'd continue to use them.

WIMBORNE http://www.wessex-astro.org.uk/ Wessex Astro Society's Website
Dorset UK Info, Meeting Dates, Sites & Maps

Old February 26th 07, 03:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Elle

Thanks for sharing your experiences, Curly, JBeam, JT (=
Grumpy AC), AZ Nomad, Eric, Tegger, and JYanik. I am going
to hold off. I will continue to also use the checks Tegger
describes, and on which some others of you touch, regarding
looking for leakage when the engine is running.

Eric, I read the background of the Honda/Toyota garage whose
site you linked and studied its maintenance matrix.
Interesting indeed. I am not wild abou the oil change
interval (but let's leave that out of this thread,
controversial as this subject always is!). Everything else
looks pretty consistent with my own feelings and/or
conventional wisdom here. I have bookmarked the site.

I am going to hold off on replacing the wires for at least
another year or until I see some symptoms, as you all
suggest. At about $40 (online OEM sites) per set, and with
the life of the car maybe not "five years more(!)" anyway, I
think it pays to wait. I hear you, JT!

As always, wonderful group, with great community service by
all the regulars here in particular.

Old March 12th 07, 05:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Some O

In article >,
AZ Nomad > wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 14:56:08 GMT, Elle >
> wrote:
>

> >My 1991 Civic's OEM ignition wires are now five years and
> >66k miles old. The 1991 owner's manual replacement interval
> >is four years/60k miles. Tegger says he does his on his 1991
> >Integra at five years, period, though he lives in a northern
> >climate in Canada (and I like what he says about ignition
> >components). I live "out west" where in summer it's kinda
> >hot, and for nine months of the year it's pretty darn warm.
> >I would think the higher heat where I live would argue for
> >more frequent replacement than Tegger's schedule.

> >The following has been on my mind:

> >I check the wires' resistances once a year. The resistances
> >haven't moved since purchase. I wash the wires off with
> >water about twice a year. They do get pretty dusty. My 1991

> if it works, don't fix it

I just replaced the original ignition wires on my 12 yr old Chrysler
Concord. They were OK, but I felt it was time.
I also replaced the original PVC valve hoses; they had failed, it's
several years past their lifetime.