VW Rabbit Diesel will not start after cylinder head was replaced - help

Old July 27th 06, 05:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
JH

Default VW Rabbit Diesel will not start after cylinder head was replaced - help

I just completed installing a rebuilt cylinder head, timing belt, and
tensioner, in my 78 VW Rabbit Diesel. The engine turns over, but will
not start. It looks like a fuel delivery problem because there is no
smoke, or fuel smell. According to the Bentley manual, the fuel system
is self priming.

Also, the fuel gauge is now not working now...I added a few more
gallons of diesel, but the gauge is totally dead (at empty)...

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

Old July 27th 06, 01:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
none2u

It might be self priming, If you crank it enough. My 81 was, but it was
still better to fill the pump . through the top where the fuel line hooks
up. with the brass washers. but you need to fill the fuel pump up anyways.
there will be enough fuel to start it and fill the fuel filter too if its
empty. No advice on the fuel gauge.
oups.com...

Old July 29th 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Corrado Daddy[_1_]

Jeff:
Make sure to fill the fuel filter with diesel. Then loosen the unions
on EACH injector and crank the motor for 10-15 seconds at a time and
wait the same amount of time to let the starter cool. When fuel starts
to leak from a union, snug that one back up and continue until you have
all of them purged of air. Make sure you connected the glow plug
wiring and physically check the 50A fuse on the firewall. These have a
tendancy to crack right through the 'A' and it is hard to see. Check
your fuses to make sure they are not the reason for your fuel gauge to
quit.
TEMiller

cylinder head Bepo Technology 2 April 21st 06 11:01 PM
AWA [OFFER] Automotive Machine Shop Cylinder Head and Engine Rebuilding Equipment [email protected] General 0 February 11th 06 04:51 PM
524td cylinder head LAWRENCE POWERS BMW 3 February 1st 06 10:04 PM
Dodge 2.5L eats another head (and how long is the bottom end good for) Bob Fourney Dodge 6 August 28th 04 01:07 AM