Can I Reset My Outside Temperature Sensor (2003 Explorer XLT)

Old January 22nd 07, 06:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

Default Can I Reset My Outside Temperature Sensor (2003 Explorer XLT)

I have found a lot of information on related topics but nothing that
describes how one can reset the outside temperature "system" (b/c I am
consistently getting readings that are 50 degrees or more warmer than
the actual temp.).

thanks in advance

Old January 22nd 07, 06:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Andy Barkl

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have found a lot of information on related topics but nothing that
> describes how one can reset the outside temperature "system" (b/c I am
> consistently getting readings that are 50 degrees or more warmer than
> the actual temp.).
>
> thanks in advance

Most likely the sensor needs replacing. You can buy the replacement from
your Ford dealer for less than $20.

Old January 23rd 07, 12:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim[_21_]

Andy Barkl wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> I have found a lot of information on related topics but nothing that
>> describes how one can reset the outside temperature "system" (b/c I am
>> consistently getting readings that are 50 degrees or more warmer than
>> the actual temp.).
>>
>> thanks in advance

> Most likely the sensor needs replacing. You can buy the replacement from
> your Ford dealer for less than $20.

Is this the same sensor that displays the direction? Mine is stuck on
West or NorthWest.

Jim
Old January 23rd 07, 02:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Andy Barkl

"Jim" > wrote in message
> Andy Barkl wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>> I have found a lot of information on related topics but nothing that
>>> describes how one can reset the outside temperature "system" (b/c I am
>>> consistently getting readings that are 50 degrees or more warmer than
>>> the actual temp.).
>>>
>>> thanks in advance

>> Most likely the sensor needs replacing. You can buy the replacement from
>> your Ford dealer for less than $20.

> Is this the same sensor that displays the direction? Mine is stuck on
> West or NorthWest.
>
> Jim

The compass is controlled by the unit attached to the rear view mirror and
recalibrated using the button on it along with the buttons on the dash.

Old January 23rd 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Bill Jeffrey

Andy Barkl wrote:

>> Jim

> The compass is controlled by the unit attached to the rear view mirror
> and recalibrated using the button on it along with the buttons on the dash.

Andy is right. If you make a big move, you must recalibrate the compass
sensor, or it appears to "stick". In my 2002 Explorer, the procedure is
a PITA, but it works. I bet your 2003 is the same. Anyway, see your
owner's manual.

After I retired, I started moving back and forth between Arizona and
Maine. When I finished the first trip, the compass said that every
direction was south. I took it to the local Ford dealer and demanded a
warranty repair. He re-cal'ed it at no charge to me, and gently pointed
out that I should do it myself in the future.

Good dealer. I go back there.

Bill