BLown OD repair update - 92 4x4 with automatic

Old January 15th 07, 07:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ashton Crusher

Default BLown OD repair update - 92 4x4 with automatic

Got my 92 back from the tranny shop. Right at $1400 for the rebuild
with 2yr/24K warranty. Asked them to save the exciting parts for me
to look at.

The part that caused the failure was a VERY thin radial roller bearing
that appears to act as a thrust bearing for the OD planetary parts.
Once it went it allowed the other parts to shift back an eighth of an
inch and start rubbing on each other.

I guess 127K miles isn't bad but it sure looked like Ford could have
made the transmission an extra 1/8 inch longer and put a heavier
bearing in there or something.

Having seen what failed it's now very easy to understand why they said
DO NOT TOW IN OD for these things - It clearly is not a heavy duty
design as far as OD loading.
Old January 15th 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
oklaman

a dealer told me once to never tow in OD. however, others have said no
problem with doing this.

thanks for shedding some light on this. a bad mark for Ford though.

Old January 16th 07, 02:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

How could this be a bad mark for Ford? Dig back through this NG and you will
see many old, old, old posts from a Ford tech telling people to cancel OD in
situations where OD is inappropriate.....

But, they all knew better....

Old January 16th 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ashton Crusher

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 10:13:11 -0600, "oklaman" > wrote:

>a dealer told me once to never tow in OD. however, others have said no
>problem with doing this.

It depends on the transmission. The ones in the early explorers
definitely were a "don't tow with OD" version. I have heard there are
other models where supposedly it's not an issue. Jim Warman may know.

>thanks for shedding some light on this. a bad mark for Ford though.
.. .

Old January 16th 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
oklaman

well, my 2000 2WD owners manual says cancel OD when towing up/down steep
hills, or towing heavy loads. it doesn't say cancel OD when towing
anything.

but I agree that it should be cancelled when towing anything.

couldn't Ford have made the very thin bearing a little thicker to prevent
some catastrophic failures?

Old January 17th 07, 01:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

Ashton Crusher wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 10:13:11 -0600, "oklaman" > wrote:
>
> >a dealer told me once to never tow in OD. however, others have said no
> >problem with doing this.
> >

> It depends on the transmission. The ones in the early explorers
> definitely were a "don't tow with OD" version. I have heard there are
> other models where supposedly it's not an issue. Jim Warman may know.

They say the Explorer with the V8 has a strong tranny.

But I think this calls for some common sense. If you're towing a
utility trailer with 500 lb gross weight on flat ground, that's one
thing. ( I recently used mine to bring home an 8' sliding glass door,
total weight under 500 lb- overdrive was not an issue.)

If you're towing a big, heavy boat in hot weather, in rolling
terrain... that's quite another.
-Paul

Front-End Repair? Maybe Just Throw It Away Dotcom Computers Ltd BMW 0 October 20th 05 11:02 AM
Upcoming rFactor Update Info David G Fisher Simulators 0 October 12th 05 04:54 AM
The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
Consumer Advocacy Organization Takes Aim at Auto Repair Shop Rip-offs. Please Help! Kenneth Brotman 4x4 2 January 6th 04 06:21 PM