Waiting to hear the explaination...

Old May 24th 06, 04:27 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Waiting to hear the explaination...

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...a/14652154.htm

AGOURA HILLS, Calif. - A Ferrari Testarossa sports car hurtled off a road
and flipped over, killing two occupants, authorities said.

The names of the men killed in Tuesday's crash were not immediately released.

Evidence at the scene indicated one victim was an off-duty California
Highway Patrol officer, Los Angeles County Sheriff's Sgt. Phil Brooks said.

<...>

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/9263842/detail.html

<...>
CHP Officer Leland Tang told The Times that the driver of the Ferrari
apparently lost control and hit a telephone pole.

"It came off the corner and went into the air and hit a pole and rocks
before flipping upside down," Brooks said.

The mangled sports car came to rest on its roof in a corral several yards
from the road.

Actress Morgan Brittany was among those who heard the crash.

"I heard it coming," Brittany, best known for her portrayal of Katherine
Wentworth on "Dallas" in the 1980s, told a TV station. "I heard the
engine revving high ... I just braced myself. I said I hope there's
nobody coming the other way."

images and video... http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_143214422.html

http://ktla.trb.com/news/ktla-shawna...ll=ktla-news-1
<...>
Witnesses say it appeared the Ferrari was traveling at up to 80 miles an
hour.
<...>

Old May 24th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Brent P wrote: <brevity snip>

"CHP Officer Leland Tang told The Times that the driver of the Ferrari
apparently lost control and hit a telephone pole."

HTH.
-----

- gpsman

Old May 24th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

> Brent P said in rec.autos.driving:
> AGOURA HILLS, Calif. - A Ferrari Testarossa sports car hurtled off a road
> and flipped over, killing two occupants, authorities said.
>
> The names of the men killed in Tuesday's crash were not immediately released.
>
> Evidence at the scene indicated one victim was an off-duty California
> Highway Patrol officer, Los Angeles County Sheriff's Sgt. Phil Brooks said.

A cop in a Ferrari? Do I smell a cover-up brewing here?

--
"I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State.
My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on
Old May 25th 06, 06:19 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article >, Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> On Wed, 24 May 2006 15:31:07 -0400, necromancer
> wrote:
>
>>> AGOURA HILLS, Calif. - A Ferrari Testarossa sports car hurtled off a road
>>> and flipped over, killing two occupants, authorities said.
>>>
>>> The names of the men killed in Tuesday's crash were not immediately released.
>>>
>>> Evidence at the scene indicated one victim was an off-duty California
>>> Highway Patrol officer, Los Angeles County Sheriff's Sgt. Phil Brooks said.

>>A cop in a Ferrari? Do I smell a cover-up brewing here?

> Was his name Raphael Perez?

Just got the update...

http://chicago.craigslist.org/rnr/164391596.html

Ferrari Fatalities Identified as CHP Officer and Friend
By Stephen Osman and Richard Winton, Times Staff Writer
4:54 PM PDT, May 24, 2006

A man who authorities said was an off-duty California Highway Patrol
officer and a second man were killed Tuesday in a rollover accident
involving a Ferrari, the second high-profile Ferrari crash this year in
Los Angeles County. The accident on Cornell Road in Agoura Hills occurred
about 3:15 p.m., when the silver 1993 Ferrari Testarossa spun off the
road and flipped, the CHP said.
The CHP today identified the victims as Officer Derek Midollo, 39, and
his passenger, David Bjorklund, also in his 30s, according to the
Associated Press. "It is a huge, huge loss for us," CHP Officer Leland
Tang said. Midollo was an 11-year veteran of the CHP and was assigned to
the West Valley Area office. Bjorklund was his friend visiting from
Chicago, Tang said.

The Ferrari may have been traveling at high speed when the driver lost
control, said Los Angeles County Sheriff's Sgt. Phil Brooks. "It came off
the corner and went into the air and hit a pole and rocks before flipping
upside down," he said. The Ferrari was traveling south on the narrow road
when the driver apparently lost control and hit a telephone pole, Tang said.

The pole crashed through the passenger compartment and the car then
flipped, flinging a large boulder from its resting place, neighbors said.
The car stopped in a corral owned by actress Morgan Brittany. "I heard a
screaming engine coming around the curb, and the next thing I heard was a
horrific crash," she said.

CHP Officer Killed in Agoura Hills Crash

AGOURA HILLS, May 24, 2006
An update on a Ferrari crash that killed two men in Agoura Hills; we now
know their identities. The driver and owner of the Ferrari was Derick
Midolo, a 38-year-old CHP officer. The passenger was his friend 30 year
old David Bjorklund of Chicago. The two men were killed Tuesday afternoon.
Witnesses say the 1993 Testarossa flew off the road, hit a boulder, then
flipped over and slammed into a tree. The CHP says Midolo lost control
and it is investigating whether speed was an issue. Midolo had been a
member of special enforcement teams used to enforce speed limits on
hillside roads.

Now, my question is how the f does a cop afford a Ferrari Testarossa? I
haven't priced one lately, but a quick scan of ebay shows $75K for early
90s examples. Neither KBB or NADA online list a '93 testarossa. But even
the bottom of the line Mondial is $35-45K according to NADA.

Of course how many tickets would this cop get if he lived and wasn't a
cop? Assume passenger still dead.

Old May 26th 06, 05:35 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Brent P wrote (quoting a news article):
> Midolo had been a member of special enforcement teams used to
> enforce speed limits on hillside roads.

Oh, the irony.