Average Period of Car Ownership

Old September 23rd 08, 05:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
D.D. Palmer[_2_]

Default Average Period of Car Ownership

I know this is not directly FORD EXPLORER related, but I was just
wondering what the average period of car ownership is. NO, not the 17
years that a car lives, on average, from showroom to junkyard. But how
long is the average period of ownership before people trade to a newer
(but not necessarily new) car?
Old September 23rd 08, 09:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Charlie[_6_]

"D.D. Palmer" > wrote in message
>I know this is not directly FORD EXPLORER related, but I was just wondering
>what the average period of car ownership is. NO, not the 17 years that a
>car lives, on average, from showroom to junkyard. But how long is the
>average period of ownership before people trade to a newer (but not
>necessarily new) car?

Since I realized that the only thing that depreciates faster than a car is a
hot meal, I buy 'em new and keep 'em forever.

Now driving a 92 Explorer bought new on the last day of 1991.
Currently at about 225K,

When it needs a repair, I look at the cost of repair against the cost of a
new car payment.

Cheap? You betcha!

Old September 23rd 08, 11:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Al Williams

If you google "Average Period of Car Ownership" you will see some numbers.
Looks like it varies by country, Canada was 8.4 years, Japan 7.1, Germany
only 3.5. No doubt with the "renting of cars" via leasing becoming less
popular (or even dropped by some manufacturers) the number will rise.

I myself have a 91 and a 98 vehicle but I don't think that's the norm.
Indeed anyone that posts to this forum usually has older vehicles as they
are capable of maintaining them (or at least they think they are ;-).

--
Allan Williams

Old September 24th 08, 03:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Foon

In article >, D.D. Palmer says...

>I know this is not directly FORD EXPLORER related, but I was just
>wondering what the average period of car ownership is. NO, not the 17
>years that a car lives, on average, from showroom to junkyard. But how
>long is the average period of ownership before people trade to a newer
>(but not necessarily new) car?

I had my first Explorer (4x2) stick shift 110k 10 years and traded it in for a
new one in 2003. (I got $2000 for it)
I lived through the Firestone tire fiasco (3 sets and a prorated rebate) then
bought Michelins.
Except for the tire thing I liked the old Explorer better. The 2003 has some
quality flaws I am unhappy with (cracked tailgate panel, marginal paint job)
though it has served me very well for 5 years. In this depressed SUV market I
suppose I will keep it 'til it dies since it's paid for and I don't put many
miles on it. Buying a hybrid anything doesn't make sense to me unless you are a
high mileage driver. I don't think I will buy another car until the mileages
come up appreciably on the midsize SUVs.