97 5.0 cats

Old November 4th 04, 02:22 AM
klb

Default 97 5.0 cats

There are 4 cats on my explorer 5.0 and I was wondering if i took them off
for some reason, would the computer be all messed up.

Old November 4th 04, 03:21 AM
Jim Warman

It would mess up the fuel trims and definitely set the CEL.... we wont delve
into why the friggin' things are there in the first place. It may be illegal
in your area to remove them, anyway, depending on where you live. I'm sure
our grandchildren will eventually feel it should have been illegal to remove
them no matter where we live.

Your Ex will have at least 3 O2 sensors. Upstream O2 activity is corellated
to downstream O2 activity to monitor catalyst efficiency. These computations
are also part of the algorythm used to establish long term fuel trim. What
you get may not be what you seek.

lkaboutautos.com...

Old November 6th 04, 08:55 PM
Ron

Remove them and use MIL eliminators to keep the check engine light off.
MIL eliminators can be purchased from any Hot Rod Mustang shop. Removing
the cats will do nothing to the computer or related sensors. Advance the
timing and use a K & N filter or Air Hog, remove the restrictor from the
air box, and enjoy your ride. Never, never listen to anyone who says you
cant do this as you 97 will never know if it is 12,000 feet above sea
level or 500 feet below. With your computer controlled engine you can
change anything and it will adjust. We do this every day for our
customers and they love it. Price for MIL eliminators is about $70.00
retail.

Ron