Frozen Door Locks 2003 Mountaineer

Old December 7th 07, 01:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Daniel David Palmer

Default Frozen Door Locks 2003 Mountaineer

Our 2003 Mountaineer sits all day outside my wife's work. Often she can't
get into the vehicle after a day sitting outside in the freezing weather.
She notes that fellow employees seem to not have this problem. I sprayed the
locks with WD 40 but it doesn't help. Any other tricks that might help here.
This was not a problem until this year.

Old December 10th 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Al Williams

You don't really give enough info for people to help. What part is
affected - the key is stuck?, the keyless entry doesn't unlock?, the door
handle is stuck, does the power lock move the lock plunger properly?

Locks can fail in many ways but the key is to lubricate them -- including
the door latch on the side of the door. Not sure WD-40 is the best for this
long term but it should help...

I had a door latch fail on mine that caused a door to not open sometimes -
little spring in the latch itself had broke.

Allan Williams

Old December 10th 07, 08:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Richard[_12_]

On Dec 10, 11:08 am, "Al Williams" >
wrote:
> You don't really give enough info for people to help. What part is
> affected - the key is stuck?, the keyless entry doesn't unlock?, the door
> handle is stuck, does the power lock move the lock plunger properly?
>
> Locks can fail in many ways but the key is to lubricate them -- including
> the door latch on the side of the door. Not sure WD-40 is the best for this
> long term but it should help...
>
> I had a door latch fail on mine that caused a door to not open sometimes -
> little spring in the latch itself had broke.
>
> Allan Williams
>
> "Daniel David Palmer" > wrote in ...
>
> > Our 2003 Mountaineer sits all day outside my wife's work. Often she can't
> > get into the vehicle after a day sitting outside in the freezing weather.
> > She notes that fellow employees seem to not have this problem. I sprayed
> > the locks with WD 40 but it doesn't help. Any other tricks that might help
> > here. This was not a problem until this year.

We only get a hand full of frozen days but I just leave my door
unlocked if its going to be freezing rain, as for WD-40 thats no good
for locks, use some contact cleaner to get it all out, let the contact
cleaned evaporate out of your locks then use powdered graphite.