1999 UK Explorer - beeping !

Old January 22nd 07, 05:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,alt.autos.ford
[email protected]

Default 1999 UK Explorer - beeping !

Hi there,

I have just acquired a 1999 UK model Explorer and I have an annoying
problem. On start-up (and at apparently random times whilst driving) it
emits 5 bursts of 5 beeps (the same beep as when you open the door with
the key in the ignition).

At first I thought it was a frost warning as it seemed to go off when
the temp dropped to 3C (about 40F), but it does it lots of other times
too.

Does anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks
db

Old January 23rd 07, 07:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,alt.autos.ford
Jim Warman

Check to see that all of the warning indicators prove out at key on...
particularly the supplemental restraints light and the ABS light. If either
of these warning indicators cannot illuminate, the GEM will sound a chime to
indicate that there is a problem.

oups.com...

Old January 24th 07, 04:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,alt.autos.ford
C. E. White

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi there,
>
> I have just acquired a 1999 UK model Explorer and I have an annoying
> problem. On start-up (and at apparently random times whilst driving) it
> emits 5 bursts of 5 beeps (the same beep as when you open the door with
> the key in the ignition).
>
> At first I thought it was a frost warning as it seemed to go off when
> the temp dropped to 3C (about 40F), but it does it lots of other times
> too.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas ?
>
> Thanks

Does it continue to beep if you and your front seat passenenger have your
seatbelts buckled? Sounds a lot like the belt minder system in operation.

You can download a US Spec Owners Guide From
https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/default.asp .

Ed

Old January 29th 07, 02:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

Thanks for your help.
The beeping does happen even when the front seat belts are done up.
However, I have checked the lights which come on and the SRS Airbag
light does not illuminate at any time, so I guess thats what it's
warning me about. I'm going to have a dealer check it out.

Thanks for the handbook link

db