Stop to engage 4x4?

Old January 22nd 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Dan Gillespie

Default Stop to engage 4x4?

I replaced the kaput automatic hubs on my 1994 with the manual lockers from
Warn. Easy job and about a thousand bucks cheaper than letting the dealer
put new autos in. Anyway, my question is whether I should stop when
engaging the 4x4 via the dash button or whether I can do it while the car is
moving. Obviously, I will have already locked the hubs.

TIA, Dan

Old January 25th 07, 05:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ashton Crusher

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 22:29:47 GMT, "Dan Gillespie"
> wrote:

>I replaced the kaput automatic hubs on my 1994 with the manual lockers from
>Warn. Easy job and about a thousand bucks cheaper than letting the dealer
>put new autos in. Anyway, my question is whether I should stop when
>engaging the 4x4 via the dash button or whether I can do it while the car is
>moving. Obviously, I will have already locked the hubs.
>
>TIA, Dan

Engagement speed shouldn't be any different now then when it had the
auto hubs. You can push the button at any speed up to 40 is what I
think the manual says. You can do it even if you don't have the hubs
locked but you won't have 4 wheel drive, just spinning shafts!! With
the hubs locked you can probably engage it at any speed actually,
since with them locked all the parts are already spinning at
engagement speed but I wouldn't do it because you just never
know....I'd stick to the 40 mph limit.