Ping Daniel Stern marker lights

Old November 28th 04, 02:17 AM
Bill 2

Default Ping Daniel Stern marker lights

I want to wire up the marker lights in my 2000 Neon to flash for turn
signals. To accomplish this I'd wire it as shown on your website:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...rkerflash.html

This vehicle has turn signal DRLs, so this means the marker lights will be
on all the time (even with headlights / parking lights shut off). Is this
legal? Would I run into problems getting the vehicle inspected?

Old November 28th 04, 03:16 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004, Bill 2 wrote:

> I want to wire up the marker lights in my 2000 Neon to flash for turn
> signals. To accomplish this I'd wire it as shown on your website:
>
> http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...rkerflash.html

> This vehicle has turn signal DRLs, so this means the marker lights will
> be on all the time (even with headlights / parking lights shut off). Is
> this legal?

Sure is.

> Would I run into problems getting the vehicle inspected?

Nope.
Old November 28th 04, 03:16 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004, Bill 2 wrote:

> I want to wire up the marker lights in my 2000 Neon to flash for turn
> signals. To accomplish this I'd wire it as shown on your website:
>
> http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...rkerflash.html

> This vehicle has turn signal DRLs, so this means the marker lights will
> be on all the time (even with headlights / parking lights shut off). Is
> this legal?

Sure is.

Old November 28th 04, 04:06 AM
Bill 2

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
.umich.edu...
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004, Bill 2 wrote:
>
> > I want to wire up the marker lights in my 2000 Neon to flash for turn
> > signals. To accomplish this I'd wire it as shown on your website:
> >
> > http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...rkerflash.html

> > This vehicle has turn signal DRLs, so this means the marker lights will
> > be on all the time (even with headlights / parking lights shut off). Is
> > this legal?

> Sure is.
>
> > Would I run into problems getting the vehicle inspected?

> Nope.

If it is legal, then why did they make the switch from combo turn-markers to
just markers between 99 and 00? I mean, the front turn signal is way on the
inside of the headlights, having the markers blink would be very beneficial.
Also, they switched to foglight DRLs in 2003, why didn't they switch the
markers back? Let me guess, quality lighting regulations.

Another lighting question. In a thread on r.a.d you mentioned that the
parking lights must remain on when the headlights are on, so that if a
headlight burns out you still see a double track vehicle. I noticed some
transit busses (GM Newlook/fishbowl, and New Flyer) don't have running
lights down by the headlights, just turn signals. Do the clearance lights on
the roof count as being the running lights?

Old November 28th 04, 04:06 AM
Bill 2

Old November 28th 04, 04:35 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004, Bill 2 wrote:

> If it is legal, then why did they make the switch from combo
> turn-markers to just markers between 99 and 00? I mean, the front turn
> signal is way on the inside of the headlights, having the markers blink
> would be very beneficial.

'cause it's not required to have the sidemarkers flash. It's permitted,
but it's not required.

> Also, they switched to foglight DRLs in 2003, why didn't they switch the
> markers back?

'Cause there's nothing that says they hafta.

> Another lighting question. In a thread on r.a.d you mentioned that the
> parking lights must remain on when the headlights are on, so that if a
> headlight burns out you still see a double track vehicle.

True.

> I noticed some transit busses (GM Newlook/fishbowl, and New Flyer) don't
> have running lights down by the headlights, just turn signals.

Only passenger vehicles, light trucks and related vehicles are required to
have parking lamps. "HDVs", as the regulations know them, do not have to
have parking lamps.

DS
Old November 28th 04, 04:35 AM
Daniel J. Stern