Alfas thirsty?

Old May 20th 04, 04:02 PM
Chef!

Default Alfas thirsty?

Hello AR drivers, I heard a rumour from an AR driver that Alfas gulp down
about half litre motor oil per 1000 miles, is this true? and if so whats
the reason behind it?

Stay Happy!

Old May 20th 04, 04:06 PM
Tom Boltwood

> From: "Chef!" >
> Newsgroups: alt.autos.alfa-romeo
> Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 16:02:52 +0100
> Subject: Alfas thirsty?
>
> Hello AR drivers, I heard a rumour from an AR driver that Alfas gulp down
> about half litre motor oil per 1000 miles, is this true? and if so whats
> the reason behind it?
>
> Stay Happy!

Apparently anything up to a litre per 1000km is considered acceptable,
although I don't think many use that much. My Tspark uses about quarter of a
litre per 3000 miles. I have no idea why they are oil thirsty, but it
doesn't seem to be to the detriment of the engine. Mine has 110,000 miles on
the clock, but you wouldn't think so to drive it.

Old May 20th 04, 05:36 PM
Simon Mason

"Chef!" > wrote in message
> Hello AR drivers, I heard a rumour from an AR driver that Alfas gulp down
> about half litre motor oil per 1000 miles, is this true? and if so whats
> the reason behind it?

Yes it's true with mine. Keep a close check on it every few days. I was
lucky in that I spotted the low oil light on, when cornering hard once after
600 miles from new.

--
Simon Mason
Anlaby

Old May 20th 04, 06:20 PM
Zathras

On Thu, 20 May 2004 16:02:52 +0100, "Chef!" >
wrote:

>Hello AR drivers, I heard a rumour from an AR driver that Alfas gulp down
>about half litre motor oil per 1000 miles, is this true? and if so whats
>the reason behind it?
>
>Stay Happy!

Mine doesn't consume any *engine* oil at all. Never has.
I've *heard* that some (petrol) engined cars use oil to cool the upper
cylinders a bit..

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email without 'Alfa' in subject are auto-deleted..sorry!)
Old May 20th 04, 06:24 PM
Carl Farrington

Chef! wrote:
> Hello AR drivers, I heard a rumour from an AR driver that Alfas gulp
> down about half litre motor oil per 1000 miles, is this true? and if
> so whats the reason behind it?
>
> Stay Happy!

it's just the TwinSparks. Some do it, some don't. As a general observation
Alfa Romeo say that "up to 1 litre per 1000kms (650 miles?) is normal"

Old May 20th 04, 07:00 PM
SS

my 2.0 TS in my 2 year old 147 (22K miles) uses oil faster than my 6 year
old 2.0 TS 156 (80K miles) did.

but not at the rate that alfa say it 'could'

I check the oil every two fill ups and reckon I've got through a bit less
than 3 litres in 6000 miles.

SS

Old May 20th 04, 07:01 PM
Antti

"Chef!" > wrote in message
> Hello AR drivers, I heard a rumour from an AR driver that Alfas gulp down
> about half litre motor oil per 1000 miles, is this true? and if so whats
> the reason behind it?
>
> Stay Happy!

3 Alfas two 2.0 and one V6 all used/uses about 1 liter per 10 000kms

156V6

Old May 20th 04, 08:09 PM
Alfistagj

I drive (only) Alfa's since 1971.
Had only 1 or 2 oil guzzlers in all those years.
One was a Sud ti (1.5 boxer engine) and the other one was a Guillietta 1.8
(8V)
Both "drank" 1 ltr every 1500km, but never left me standing. Sold both after
more than 100.000km and both have been a joy to the new owners for years as
well.
My present 156 1.8 engine needs no topping up at all between services (every
20.000km)
Only had to top her up with 1/2 liter after the first 5000km.
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

"Chef!" > schreef in bericht

Old May 20th 04, 09:23 PM
Tony Rickard

> Hello AR drivers, I heard a rumour from an AR driver that Alfas gulp down
> about half litre motor oil per 1000 miles, is this true?

yes

> and if so whats the reason behind it?

They are designed that way. There is nothing wrong with a car consuming oil
providing that is how they are designed, it is not through premature wear.

With the cost of fuel these days a 5 litre container of oil every 6 months
(worst case) seems bugger all...

Old May 21st 04, 01:50 PM
Chef!

TIA for all replies, so there's no conclusive proof to it does or not, only
that it happens to some cars without detriment to performance.

Cheers!