How long to REBUILD a TRANSMISSON?

Old April 13th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default How long to REBUILD a TRANSMISSON?

I drive an ice cream truck part-time and the other day my transmission
went. The mechanic said that they would either find a used one, which
they haven't or he would have to REBUILD one.

In general, how many days does it take to REBUILD a transmission on a
small truck? And... when you use the word REBUILD, what exactly does
that mean? Replacing all the parts? Just certain parts?

Thanks in advance : - )

LEESA (I)

Old April 13th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I drive an ice cream truck part-time and the other day my transmission
> went. The mechanic said that they would either find a used one, which
> they haven't or he would have to REBUILD one.
>
> In general, how many days does it take to REBUILD a transmission on a
> small truck? And... when you use the word REBUILD, what exactly does
> that mean? Replacing all the parts? Just certain parts?
>
> Thanks in advance : - )

What sort of truck, Leesa?? Could make a difference if it is a Skoda
or if it is a Ford. And is it automatic or standard? What engine,
year and type?

Now, in general, professional tranny rebuilders can work pretty fast
if they can get the parts they need. If they are not stacked up, they
can have it out, rebuilt, and back in and function in 1-2 days (or really
even less.)

Often garages do not rebuild at all. They order in a tranny from a
commercial rebuilder and simply swap in the units.

Your question on rebuilds is very important. Some simply replace some
of the parts like clutches, seals, etc. Others may do a remanufacturing
job,
which should leave you with a tranny that is about a good as new.

Be VERY wary of certain franchise tranny shops. A goodly number of them
have BAD reputations.

Old April 13th 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote:
>I drive an ice cream truck part-time and the other day my transmission
>went. The mechanic said that they would either find a used one, which
>they haven't or he would have to REBUILD one.
>
>In general, how many days does it take to REBUILD a transmission on a
>small truck? And... when you use the word REBUILD, what exactly does
>that mean? Replacing all the parts? Just certain parts?

Is it a manual or an automatic?

Rebuilding could mean all kinds of things. Hopefully it involves taking
everything apart, checking all the tolerances on everything, and replacing
anything out of tolerance. More likely it involves replacing a set of
items that are known to wear down, and checking tolerances on a few parts
and replacing them if they are worn.

Some rebuilders are more careful than others and do a better job.

How long does it take? Well, it took me six months to rebuild a
manual transmission once... but I really didn't have a clue what I
was doing when I started.... and then the weather turned bad and I
didn't want to work outside much... A competent shop should have
been able to do it in less than a week.
--scott

Old April 13th 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

wrote:
> I drive an ice cream truck part-time and the other day my transmission
> went. The mechanic said that they would either find a used one, which
> they haven't or he would have to REBUILD one.
>
> In general, how many days does it take to REBUILD a transmission on a
> small truck? And... when you use the word REBUILD, what exactly does
> that mean? Replacing all the parts? Just certain parts?
>
> Thanks in advance : - )
>
> LEESA (I)

My brother in law once rebuilt a Pontiac T400 on my parent's kitchen
table in 2 hours. Complete tear down, replaced the bands & seals + some
misc other small parts and had it back in the car driving that same
afternoon. That car went another 120k towing regularly before the rest
of the car fell apart (with the tranny still going strong).

He used to own a tranny shop and can do this stuff in his sleep, so most
people can't do it that fast. He's one of these guys who can do this
without jigs and can tell you when everything 'feels right'. There
aren't many guys like him around anymore.

Most shops don't just work on your car straight through until it's done.
They're doing several other big & little jobs at the same time and if
they need a part for your vehicle they usually don't stop everything &
run right out & get it. They move your car out of the way and work on
something else until the parts are deliverd. Then they finish the job
they're doing and *then* they get back to finishing yours. That's why
only a few billable hours can sometimes take a couple days to get your
car back to you.

Are you talking about an Alisson auto overdrive tranny or something more
along the lines of a delivery Jeep w/ a 3 speed manual AMC tranny? Big
difference as others have said. Most ice cream trucks I've seen aren't
semi-tractors, more like little bread & mail delivery trucks. Most of
those have pretty standard off the shelf parts in them.

There are some very good videos out these days that will allow almost
anyone with some decent tools and wrenching skills to do this job at
home with a little preperation & patience. The videos run about $30 ~
$40 IIRC. Trannies aren't magic, just heavy as all get out and a real
mess to open up sometimes. Deal with that stuff and you might be
surprised how few parts are actually in some of these things.

Rent, buy or borrow a *real* transmission jack if you're going to do it
yourself, don't use an adapter that sits on your little floor jack -
you'll thank me when it's all done. Trust me.

Cheers,
- JJ
Old April 13th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

if they have all the parts and if ur dealing with a skilled technician
he can have it in out of the truck in under a day. i remember back in
school my lab group and i used to rebuild two 350 trany's in under 6
hours all that matters is if they tech has the parts on hand and how
experienced he is

Old April 13th 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

From Keep

Rent, buy or borrow a *real* transmission jack if you're going to do it
yourself, don't use an adapter that sits on your little floor jack -
you'll thank me when it's all done. Trust me. :wink:

Fully agreed, a trans. drop is not a nickel-dime thing to do, those
things can smash a bone to amputation. Don't be afraid, just get a
"real" trans. jack to drop it out.

--
Knifeblade_03
Knifeblade_03's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=262826

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old April 14th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default How long to REBUILD a TRANSMISSION?

3 days, determine the parts needed, get the parts and install them.

you are not sure why it swarmed, it might be minor.

rebuild would be to replace all sub-standard parts. in the x-mission.

since labor is costly, you might be better off going to a pick-a-part
place and get a used one from a wrecked unit.

and with the modern day facilities the junk yards can "locate" parts
very quickly via inter-com apparatuses.

mho
vfe

Old April 14th 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Don't take it to AAMCO.