transmission flare when shifting

Old July 23rd 05, 05:50 AM
Jack

Default transmission flare when shifting

Have a 96, 4.0 ohv, 114000 miles on it. Transmission flares when
shifting from 2nd to 3rd under light load. This does not happen all the
time, but enough to have me worried. Seems to happen only when trans is
at operating temp, never when cold. Have read up on this problem, some
say a bad gasket on the valve body or loose valve body bolts will cause
this. I have a B&M Shift-Plus electronic shift kit that is supposed to
tighten up the shift. Would it help to install it? I don't hot rod, just
want max life out of the truck.
Thanks,
Jack
Old July 28th 05, 05:36 PM
Ted

Jack,

I have a 95 with same motor/trans. with 121k. What do you mean by
"flare". Mine shifts less crisply than before. I have changed the
trans fuild 3 times (55k, 80k, and 105k) as I ocasionally tow. I feel
that my torque conv lockout tends to unlock alot at around 65mph
briefly raising the ending 500rpm. This isn't a shift from OD. If
search under "intermediate band" or "A4LD" you will find alot of info
from this group.

Ted

Old July 28th 05, 06:04 PM
Jack

Ted wrote:
> Jack,
>
> I have a 95 with same motor/trans. with 121k. What do you mean by
> "flare". Mine shifts less crisply than before. I have changed the
> trans fuild 3 times (55k, 80k, and 105k) as I ocasionally tow. I feel
> that my torque conv lockout tends to unlock alot at around 65mph
> briefly raising the ending 500rpm. This isn't a shift from OD. If
> search under "intermediate band" or "A4LD" you will find alot of info
> from this group.
>
> Ted
>
> Jack wrote:
>
>>Have a 96, 4.0 ohv, 114000 miles on it. Transmission flares when
>>shifting from 2nd to 3rd under light load. This does not happen all the
>>time, but enough to have me worried. Seems to happen only when trans is
>>at operating temp, never when cold. Have read up on this problem, some
>>say a bad gasket on the valve body or loose valve body bolts will cause
>>this. I have a B&M Shift-Plus electronic shift kit that is supposed to
>>tighten up the shift. Would it help to install it? I don't hot rod, just
>>want max life out of the truck.
>>Thanks,
>>Jack

Flare is a slight increase in rpm's when shifting, sort of like slipping
the clutch. A sluggish shift. I put in the B&M shift plus, and it
tightened the shifts right up, not too tight in position 2, seems just
right. It has 3 positions, 1 is off-unit is not working normal shifts, 2
tightrens it up a little, but not real hard shifts and 3 a lot harder
shifts. 2 seems like it's shifting like it should for me.
Jack

transmission shifting braxmed Honda 6 February 9th 05 01:36 AM
1984 Laser: Manual Transmission Shifting Problems Cold Jonathan Grobe Chrysler 20 December 27th 04 04:25 AM
1984 Laser: Manual Transmission Shifting Problems Cold Jonathan Grobe Technology 8 December 27th 04 04:25 AM
Speedometer doesn't work, transmission hesistant shifting. [email protected] Technology 0 December 10th 04 08:58 PM