Cam Belts....Again!

Old May 6th 05, 10:52 AM
Ross

Default Cam Belts....Again!

Hi All

I've just had the 3 year service and MOT carried out on my 147 1.6 Lusso.
The official line from my dealer is that the belts and tensioner are
inspected at this time, but as the car has only done 23500 miles, it was a
bit of a shock to be told that they needed replacement!

To be fair to the dealer (Norhtgate in Canterbury) there was no fuss or
argument about doing the work under warranty. If I've understood them
correctly, the problem was that the tensioner had stopped working and,
although the belt itself was ok at this point, it wouldn't be kept tensioned
properly and would get too slack or possibly jump off if left until the
official change time (5 years or 72000 miles).

Anyway, the car passed the MOT ok, only requiring a new rear number plate
(why do plates delaminate like that these days?). The only other extra work
required was replacing the heat shield over the manifold and exhaust branch
at the front, some idiot (that would be me!) had cracked and dented it on a
high kerb stone. At £50 odd for the part and fitting that wasn't too
painful, certainly a lot cheaper than the one that broke on my previous
Honda!

Regards
Ross

Old May 6th 05, 01:48 PM
gazza82

I've heard there were some tensioners that failed early. Some have been
know to seize ... which is worse as this can jam the belt ...

The problem we have is that the belts should really be changed at least
3 years, not 5. The higher figure was to keep servicing costs down for
fleets ... the recent 3 year "inspection" has been added probably to
try and avoid breakages and expensive engine rebuilds, but to check the
belt properly it has to be taken off. And you never, ever but a used
cam belt back!!!

Dealers have differing views on this .. some seen to have taken the
view that 36000 or three years is the max, while others stick to the
72000/5-years. And Alfa themselevs don't seem to have a consistent
message. Down-under the dealers have been told to change at the earlier
interval ... due to the "harsh conditions" apparently.

If they are happy to do it under warranty, let them. But some dealers
take the view this is a "wear & tear" item and often owners have to
resort to pressing Alfa UK to get something done.

Gazza

Old May 6th 05, 01:58 PM
cupra

gazza82 wrote:
> I've heard there were some tensioners that failed early. Some have
> been know to seize ... which is worse as this can jam the belt ...
>
> The problem we have is that the belts should really be changed at
> least 3 years, not 5. The higher figure was to keep servicing costs
> down for fleets ... the recent 3 year "inspection" has been added
> probably to try and avoid breakages and expensive engine rebuilds,
> but to check the belt properly it has to be taken off. And you never,
> ever but a used cam belt back!!!
>
> Dealers have differing views on this .. some seen to have taken the
> view that 36000 or three years is the max, while others stick to the
> 72000/5-years. And Alfa themselevs don't seem to have a consistent
> message. Down-under the dealers have been told to change at the
> earlier interval ... due to the "harsh conditions" apparently.
>
> If they are happy to do it under warranty, let them. But some dealers
> take the view this is a "wear & tear" item and often owners have to
> resort to pressing Alfa UK to get something done.
>
> Gazza

So, is 36K in a year a signal for change?

Old May 6th 05, 05:09 PM
simon

My dealer told me, but would not put into writing.

We check at 36K, visually.
If it then fails before the specified change interval we'd stand the cost.
(minus cost of belt and usual
componets associated with a routine change)

Make what you will of that

Old May 6th 05, 06:56 PM
cupra

simon wrote:
> My dealer told me, but would not put into writing.
>
> We check at 36K, visually.
> If it then fails before the specified change interval we'd stand the
> cost. (minus cost of belt and usual
> componets associated with a routine change)
>
> Make what you will of that

I'll see what they say next month when I take it in for the 36K....

Old May 6th 05, 06:58 PM
Paul Woodsford

I would seriously consider it.

--
Paul Woodsford
Remove NOSPAM to reply.

Old May 6th 05, 07:38 PM
cupra

Paul Woodsford wrote:
> I would seriously consider it.

I'm going to bring it up when I take it in - but seeing as I'll get to 72K
before the (unlimited) warranty runs out, I feel like I've got some
insurance should anything fail!

Old May 10th 05, 04:46 PM
Ross

"gazza82" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> ... the recent 3 year "inspection" has been added probably to

try and avoid breakages and expensive engine rebuilds, but to check the
belt properly it has to be taken off. And you never, ever but a used
>cam belt back!!!

It's not *that* recent, it lists the procedure in my handbook. As I
understand it from my dealer, the concern isn't over the belt but the
tensioner, which can be checked with the belt in place. As you say, if the
belt had to come off you wouldn't put the old one back on.

Regards
Ross