Clutch??

Old April 11th 05, 12:46 PM
Jeff

Default Clutch??

I noticed over a month ago that everytime I put any pressure on the clutch
that it would roar (03 TJ)...I had the dealer listen to it but Murphy's law
wouldn't allow the mechanic to hear anything...then in the middle of last
week the clutch would start screaming everytime I touched it...it was pretty
obvious that the clutch throw out bearing was gone...I was then in the woods
yesterday and lost the clutch all together...the only way to change gears at
all was with the engine off and start it in second without a clutch was not
easy..if ya ever tried to start a manual vehicle without clutch you know
what I mean....
what happened?? when the throw out bearing goes will it screw the clutch
assembly??

--
Jeff
'03 TJ & '95 ZJ

Old April 11th 05, 04:17 PM
Rusted

My throw out bearing has been howling just as you described for a year now,
it is about to get replaced. The sound sounds like a bad bearing, the way
yours has locked now sounds like something different unless that bearing has
froze tight somehow. My guess is that there is more than a bearing going
bad.

Old April 12th 05, 04:27 AM
Michael White

Jeff ) wrote on Monday 11 April 2005 06:46 am:

> I noticed over a month ago that everytime I put any pressure on the clutch
> that it would roar (03 TJ)...I had the dealer listen to it but Murphy's
> law wouldn't allow the mechanic to hear anything...then in the middle of
> last week the clutch would start screaming everytime I touched it...it was
> pretty obvious that the clutch throw out bearing was gone...I was then in
> the woods yesterday and lost the clutch all together...the only way to
> change gears at all was with the engine off and start it in second without
> a clutch was not easy..if ya ever tried to start a manual vehicle without
> clutch you know what I mean....
> what happened?? when the throw out bearing goes will it screw the clutch
> assembly??
>
> --
> Jeff
> '03 TJ & '95 ZJ

Jeff,

Sounds like something else went. Could be something as simple as loosing
your clutch fluid or a clutch cylinder. Or your clutch fork may have
busted. Since you were going to have to pull it apart anyway to replace
the throw out bearing, this probably won't be a huge additional cost.
--
Michael White "To protect people from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools." -Herbert Spencer
Old April 12th 05, 04:57 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Jeff,
More than likely the disk dampener springs are falling out and
jamming the pressure plate, for sure if you can depress the clutch pedal
all the way to the floor, any longer: http://www.billhughes.com/clutch/
Let us know what it was.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Wrong Clutch Fork? Michael White Jeep 6 February 8th 05 02:33 AM
Clutch? Son of Sam Technology 3 January 18th 05 01:47 PM
Need good clutch for '94 4Runner V6 Matt Lang 4x4 4 January 13th 05 11:40 PM
Wacky Clutch Peter Pontbriand Jeep 14 December 19th 04 11:42 AM
Land Rover Series 3 Clutch bc 4x4 0 August 13th 04 03:36 PM