Question for the group...

Old March 4th 05, 02:47 PM
XS11E

Tom Howlin > wrote in
:

> I've also noticed that the officers of the law really read the
> blue tag when they see a Miata in a handicap zone. I have a tag
> for when I'm carting my 87 year old mum around and have come back
> out with her to find an officer reading the back of the tag - one
> time he was actually in the car reading it. Couldn't fathom that
> a Miata owner might have need of a handicap spot and actually
> wanted ID from my mum to prove she was the one listed on the back
> of the tag. Less attention paid to a murder scene!

Of course, think about it. Murder is a high profile crime and
sometimes the police investigating a murder will get a little bit of
media attention, a murder investigation does not produce any revenue.

Parking illegally in a handicap zone produces revenue, a parking ticket
does not produce any publicity.

Which do you think the police department would rather have, a quick
mention in a 1 minute TV news story that will probably never be aired
or a couple of hundred dollars? ;-)
Old March 4th 05, 06:37 PM
Kumo '96M

Generic wrote:
> Punch a hole and use a small loop of cable through the steering wheel

like a
> mini bike lock.

Secure the tag between two pieces of plexiglass [bolts or epoxy them
together].
Then "puch a hole..."

Old March 4th 05, 06:56 PM
Randy Maheux

Escondido, CA - a suburb north of San Diego.

Old March 4th 05, 06:59 PM
XS11E

"Randy Maheux" > wrote in

> Escondido, CA - a suburb north of San Diego.

OK, I know where it is, I don't know how likely it is that a tag would
be stolen, I hear it's pretty common here in Phoenix.
Old March 4th 05, 07:00 PM
XS11E

"Kumo '96M" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Generic wrote:
>> Punch a hole and use a small loop of cable through the steering
>> wheel like a mini bike lock.

> Secure the tag between two pieces of plexiglass [bolts or epoxy
> them together].
> Then "puch a hole..."

That sounds like the way to do it, thanks.
Old March 4th 05, 08:07 PM
gixer

Hi John,

I am originally from the Uk but I am now living in Greece.
Which has a very low crime rate, 1 of the reasons I moved from the UK was I
sick and tired of getting cars and bikes stolen and broken into.
As for the crime rate, it really depends on what aspect of crime you rate,
if you measure violent crimes, with guns then the US is #1.

m...

Old March 4th 05, 10:03 PM
BallroomDancer

"gixer" > wrote in message
> Hi John,
>
> I am originally from the Uk but I am now living in Greece.
> Which has a very low crime rate, 1 of the reasons I moved from the UK was
> I sick and tired of getting cars and bikes stolen and broken into.
> As for the crime rate, it really depends on what aspect of crime you rate,
> if you measure violent crimes, with guns then the US is #1.

Depends very much on where one lives in the US. Violent crime with guns in
the US is predominately in those cities which have very restrictive gun
laws - the criminal figures that their victim is very unlikely to bring any
lethal force to bear. In those parts of the US like where I live, criminals
have to figure that many of the local citizens are well armed, well trained
in the use of their weapons, and quite willing to save the state the cost of
a trial. Example - several years ago, the state of Louisana passed a law
that gives an automatic presumption of self-defense to anyone who is being
carjacked. So - more dead carjackers for a little while, then carjacking
became a very infrequent crime in Louisana.

The US does have significant problems with long drawn out police chases -
which is ridiculous. I was told when I was working in Germany that there
were no long police chases, they simply shot the offenders as soon as it
could be done without significant risk of the public being harmed. Cars,
bikes, etc. being stolen and broken into does occur even in small towns, but
not nearly like in major cities.

I do not have personal experience, but reports which I have received
indicate that the UK has had a significant increase in the past several
years of the citizens being terrorized by gun armed criminals, since the UK
laws have effectively disarmed the public, and even go to the extent of
prosecuting the homeowner who manages to harm a criminal.

I personally would prefer to live in a society where there are very few
repeat criminals, because they have been killed after their first crime
spree.

Jim.

Old March 5th 05, 01:06 AM
Tom Howlin

XS11E wrote:
> Tom Howlin > wrote in
> :
>

>>I've also noticed that the officers of the law really read the
>>blue tag when they see a Miata in a handicap zone. I have a tag
>>for when I'm carting my 87 year old mum around and have come back
>>out with her to find an officer reading the back of the tag - one
>>time he was actually in the car reading it. Couldn't fathom that
>>a Miata owner might have need of a handicap spot and actually
>>wanted ID from my mum to prove she was the one listed on the back
>>of the tag. Less attention paid to a murder scene!

> Of course, think about it. Murder is a high profile crime and
> sometimes the police investigating a murder will get a little bit of
> media attention, a murder investigation does not produce any revenue.
>
> Parking illegally in a handicap zone produces revenue, a parking ticket
> does not produce any publicity.
>
> Which do you think the police department would rather have, a quick
> mention in a 1 minute TV news story that will probably never be aired
> or a couple of hundred dollars? ;-)

$1000 fine for misuse of a handicap placard in Virginia and up to thirty
days in jail! That's revenue!

Tom
92 Red (gone but not forgotten)
05 Vette (red, but of course)

Old March 5th 05, 01:16 AM
Leon van Dommelen

XS11E > wrote:

>"Kumo '96M" > wrote in
roups.com:

>> Generic wrote:
>>> Punch a hole and use a small loop of cable through the steering
>>> wheel like a mini bike lock.

>> Secure the tag between two pieces of plexiglass [bolts or epoxy
>> them together].
>> Then "puch a hole..."

>That sounds like the way to do it, thanks.

Don't see that you could not attach a bracket to the windshield to
hold it instead of hoping for the best with the mirror.

Leon

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old March 5th 05, 03:34 AM
BRUCE HASKIN

Well, in Washington State and I'm sure all other states, You are allowed
have: ( 2 ) hanging Blue Tags, ( 1 ) Hanging Blue Tag and a DP Lic.
plate, But NOT ( 2 ) DP Lic. plates ! We pay $13.50 for the DP plate
and can move it to a "new car" with no cost. If you want a DP plate you
vust need to go ask for one ( and pay a fee for it :-) ) As I said in
my other post, I have my DP plate on my Miata and I can use my hanging
tag for any other car I am in . ( We get a wallet size card to carry to
show that the "Tag" belongs to me. It has booth the DP plate number and
the tag number on the card. )

Bruce RED '91
(Miata is not my "Handicap"!) :-)