rear end whine

Old March 24th 05, 12:21 AM
shawn2001 shawn2001 is offline
Junior Member

Location: crossville,tn
Unhappy rear end whine

i have a 2001 ford explorer sport 4x4. it just clicked over 56000 miles and this whining gets louder by the day. luckily i work with a retied ford mech. he drove it for 2 miles and said definitly rear end going out. i got online and found over 50 cases of the same thing . they all say ford has known about this since ealy 2004. it just seems to affect 3.73 ratios. dealer says tough. anybody have suggestions? according to other forums new rear end not much help because problem is so widespread.
Old March 25th 05, 06:21 AM
Jim Warman

There were some rear diff noise concerns stemming from lube oil concerns
(memory thing). I don't get to work on little stuff much but I do know the
other guys were working on some of these. If you would like, post your VIN
(or send it off list if you have concerns) and I can run it through OASIS to
find any relevant TSBs, etc.

Old March 25th 05, 08:39 PM
R&B

This is a big problem with a number of Fords. My 2002 F-150, FX4, has a
whine. I took it back to the dealer. The took off the cover and inspected
clearances etc. and said it was ok. It still whines. it doesn't seem to have
gotten worse, but it's still there. My wife's 2004 Sport Trac has a whine
when you hit 70. it only has 8000 miles on it. It seems like the problem
here is that Ford doesn't seem to be to concerned or they would have figured
out the problem by now.
Ron

Old March 26th 05, 04:57 PM
Anthony Giorgianni

That reminds me of the whine my sister and husband's ............. Comet!!!

Remember that car from the 60s? That was the big thing about that car.. that
and the fact that it had child locks in the back that you couldn't open
without a key or something to stick into this little slot to pull them up.
That rear end whine. It's funny how that's one of the things I associated
with my sister and her husband. I was young; they were much older and for
some reason that whine was a defining thing. Anita and Bruce, the ones with
the whine and the locks you can't open :O) They ought to bring back the
Comet, maybe the Falcon too. But leave out the whine. Hey! My father had a
Galaxy and it's rear end was quiet. Comet and Galaxy!! My friend had a Nova.

--
Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.
m...

Old March 26th 05, 07:52 PM
Jim Warman

Ahhh, yes..... "Where were you in '62?".

The waning days of the Stupidbaker...... Ford was trying to market the
Frontenac - a rebadged Falson with the ugliest grille in the world - as a
distinctly Canadian automobile.... the Fairlane Thunderbolt.....

How I sometimes miss those glory days...

Old March 26th 05, 08:51 PM
Big Shoe

I was driving a '61 Vette with two fours, cam and lifters. Yeah, I
miss that too.

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 19:52:36 GMT, "Jim Warman"