most popular colors

Old February 17th 05, 02:54 AM
Mark C.

Backyard, There is a color called candy apple red. It's a stock color in
'66. Therefore, it is classic.

--
Mark C. Jack of all trades, master of none. (well, maybe a couple)

I r34lly n33d t0 g37 l41d

Old February 17th 05, 03:43 AM
.boB

Mike R wrote:

> In article . net>, picaza
> > wrote:
>

>>hi,
>>
>>i was wondering what the most popular color for the classic's are. is
>>there a web site for this?
>>
>>thanks,
>>peter

> Popularity and production figures aren't always what they seem. According
> to Kevin Marti's book for 67 to 73 Mustangs, the following years show the
> highest paint production figures:
>
> 1967 Lime Gold (I) 73,760
> 1968 Lime Gold (I) 42,724
> 1969 Candyapple Red (T) 38,118
> 1970 Med Alvacado Met (G) 24,838
> 1971 Lt Pewter Met (V) 17,513
> 1972 White (9A) 17,175
> 1973 Bright Red (2B) 14,827
>
> --
> Mike
> 93 Cobra

Lime gold? Med Avacado Met? White? Are we
talking about cars or kitchens of the 60's?

--
..boB
1997 HD FXDWG - Turbocharged!

Old February 17th 05, 03:43 AM
Backyard Mechanic

Mark C. opined in :

> Backyard, There is a color called candy apple red. It's a stock color in
> '66. Therefore, it is classic.

Oh...I remember now... lot of discussion over that, i recall.

It definitely WAS NOT the "Candy Apple" that came out of custom paint shops.

Old February 17th 05, 06:01 AM
Richard

> > Backyard, There is a color called candy apple red. It's a stock color in
> > '66. Therefore, it is classic.
> >

> Oh...I remember now... lot of discussion over that, i recall.
>
> It definitely WAS NOT the "Candy Apple" that came out of custom paint

shops.

Which IIRC had the depth of about 20 coats of clear lacquer over the base.

Richard

'94 GT 'vert
Under Drive Pulleys
Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit
High Stall Torque Converter
4:10 Gears
Gripp Sub Frame Connectors (welded)
FRPP Aluminum Drive shaft
FRPP M5400-A Suspension
Laser Red

Old February 17th 05, 12:07 PM
John

"Backyard Mechanic" > wrote in message
> John opined in :
>> "picaza" > wrote in message
>> ink.net...
>>> i was wondering what the most popular color for the classic's are. is
>>> there a web site for this?

>> Candy apple red seems to be the most popular to me judging by the
>> classics
>> being sold on eBay.
>>

> Well if it's "candy apple red", it aint a "classic" in my opinion...
> unless
> it's a street rod, maybe.
>
> I was there when it came and went... and in the sixties we had a saying in
> the mid-west

I was there too. My personal favorite is Acapulco Blue. Candy Apple Red
was popular to some folks. A friend had a CAR '63 1/2 Galaxie with 427 and
a toploader. Sweet! A few weeks ago I was looking at '69 Machs on eBay. I
noticed at the time most of the listings had been changed to CAR, or Arrest
Me Red. Personally, I wouldn't have CAR. It water spots like hell IIRC.

--
John
ThunderSnake #59

Old February 17th 05, 01:38 PM
Grover C. McCoury III

Mark C. wrote:
> Backyard, There is a color called candy apple red. It's a stock color in
> '66. Therefore, it is classic.

FYI: Mustang paint color code "T", Candyapple Red, was available on the
1966-69 models.

Yet another $.02 worth from a proud owner of a Calypso Coral 1970 Mach 1
351C @
http://community.webshots.com/album/18644819fHAehGJAjt

Old February 17th 05, 08:58 PM
lab~rat

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:05:00 -0500, "Gumby" > puked:

>What ever happened to brown? You don't see many brown cars anymore. I
>remember "metallic brown" was really big in the 70's.

There are a lot of brown PT Cruisers...

--
lab~rat >:-)
The less you care, the more it doesn't matter.
Old February 18th 05, 01:33 AM
.boB

lab~rat wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:05:00 -0500, "Gumby" > puked:
>

>>What ever happened to brown? You don't see many brown cars anymore. I
>>remember "metallic brown" was really big in the 70's.

> There are a lot of brown PT Cruisers...
>
> --
> lab~rat >:-)
> The less you care, the more it doesn't matter.

The Ford Probe was popular in brown.

Old February 18th 05, 01:12 PM
picaza

> I was there too. My personal favorite is Acapulco Blue.

yup, i like Acapulco Blue too.
peter

Old February 18th 05, 06:40 PM
Spike

OUCHEEEEEZZZZZZ!

As a 4th generation Californian, I represent .... errrr....
resemble.... errrr.... resent that remark... : )

Seriously though... in the rod world you're probably right. And
regionally within the state you might be correct (East LA?).

In the classic world, I disagree. Most of the classics I see, and we
have really big Hot August Nights and Kool April Nights type events,
the majority of classics are more in keeping with build correct or at
least era oem correct.

Lots of dark greens, blacks, etc. A large number of whites which may
be because of the heat we experience in the west. It could be because
the darker colors contrast all that chrome better than the brighter
ones. That's probably why I selected Vintage Burgundy over Crimson.

I don't mean to say red isn't used often. It is. But, I believe, a lot
less than people might think. It does however, equate to speed and
spottiness from a psychological perspective. And that alone draws the
eye of law enforcement (sporty, red, fast, single, young, male driver
= TICKET or sporty, red, fast, young, single, female driver = DATE).
(Did I say that? Hmmmm. Showing my age.... LOL)

Or maybe it's because red is the most expensive non-specialty (ie
rainbow/changing) color to use because of the pigment required, and
the majority of us do not live in Beverly Hills. : )

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 02:07:59 GMT, Backyard Mechanic
> wrote:

>I was there when it came and went... and in the sixties we had a saying in
>the mid-west
>
>"That's California! First to get it, last to lose it"..
>
>I had a buddy who drove his 58 vette to southern Cal and had it painted candy
>and Tuck'n'Rolled Naugahyde... says himself he ruined that car!

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16

2003 colors MichaelC541 Mazda 1 February 8th 05 06:19 AM
BIG BROTHER IS COMING!! (was: teen driver alert) GPSMike Driving 92 December 19th 04 10:50 PM
what do the colors mean? UncleNick Saturn 3 June 15th 04 02:30 AM