1990 Jeep Cherokee LTD no start/no spark

Old May 1st 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default 1990 Jeep Cherokee LTD no start/no spark

Hey guys,

I've got a very frustrating problem here. Customer brought in a 1990
Jeep cherokee limited, 4whldrv, automatic. We replaced the engine with
one from a 1996. All the appropriate electronics were switched from
the old engine to the new including, distributor, cap, rotor, coil,
CPS, flywheel, intake and exhaust, all injectors (already on old
intake). The problem is we now have a no start/no spark condition.
This swamp is common at our shop, (newer 4.0L into older jeep) and
always goes off without a hitch. This is the first time I've run into
this. We've replaced the CPS, coil and ignition module check out O.K.,
Distributor checks out. We even put all the suspect parts into another
jeep and they worked fine. The computer has also been replaced but to
no avail. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Jesse

Old May 1st 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

asd relay or efi main? If you scan it do you see cranking rpms.
ups.com...

Old May 1st 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

1990 Cherokee. No ASD relay.

Old May 1st 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

The 90 had a Renix computer system, the 96 has a Chrysler one. You need
the computer and harness from the 96 to get things going.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 1st 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

No we don't. We used ALL of the electronics from the Bendix system.
There are absolutely NO 1996 electronics on this engine now. This is a
swap we've done multiple times and never had this problem. As long as
all the electronics are swapped over from the old engine it works fine.
This problem is not because of incorrect electronics.

Old May 2nd 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Read that wrong....

How is the wire mesh ground strap from the rear of the head to the
firewall? If that is ratty, it will cause a no spark.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 2nd 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

It's brand new and the connection is good

Old May 2nd 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

spydey wrote:

> It's brand new and the connection is good

My 88 has a ballast resistor on the fuel pump. I was told if this
doesn't work, the computer won't send a spark. Maybe the connection got
knocked?

The resistor is out on the driver's side fender on ours and is a ceramic
rectangle type.

Does the distributor have a ground? I have seen rust interfere with a
distributor signal.

There might be one other computer control ground on the inside firewall
just above the gas pedal. I am not sure what that one runs, but the
engine won't go without it. The YJ's ground the fuel pump in that area,
don't know about the Cherokee.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old May 2nd 06, 08:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

NEW INFO, fuel pump relay does not activate on cranking. When we
jumper the ballast resistor wires it chatters like crazy.

Old May 2nd 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

I would be looking at the starter relay for a punky connection next I
think. If it isn't sending enough voltage on starter bypass to the
pump, maybe the coil also isn't getting enough.

The green wires I think are the ones to clean.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's