'98 Dodge Grand Caravan not starting up

Old June 21st 04, 03:56 AM
crazyro

Default '98 Dodge Grand Caravan not starting up

Guys and gals,

Let me preface this by saying I know very little about cars, so please
forgive my ignorance.

We have a purchased a 1998 Grand Caravan a few months ago and it's giving us
starting trouble. I thought for sure the starter was gone (clicking, but not
turning over). I was testing it out tonight. We need to take it to a shop to
get new brakes and see what's up w/ it not starting. I tried jumping it off
of our other vehicle, but w/ the same results. Then, I just happend to look
and noticed that the hose going from the air intake and filter to the engine
was broken. Looks like someone has tried to rig it and place a piece of
tubing inside the broken hose. Well, somehow, the two pieces came apart. I
rigged it back (but not w/ good success, as the hose is really busted and
cracked) and lo and behold, after a couple of tries, the van started up. Can
that be the culprit? Is this a stupid ignorant question? :-) Please help.
Thanks.

Emanuel
--
crazyro

Old June 21st 04, 02:22 PM
deadbeat

Probably the battery is starting to go bad.

Old June 21st 04, 02:22 PM
deadbeat

Old June 21st 04, 03:05 PM
crazyro

If that's the case, then how come it won't start when it's jumped off? :-)

I'm telling ya, this thing is driving me crazy...
--
crazyro

Old June 21st 04, 03:05 PM
crazyro

Old June 21st 04, 07:23 PM
deadbeat

If a battery is going bad there are a number of reasons, calcified, plate
braeking etc. Jumping a dead battery or a damged battery will still not let
a engine start. Replace the battery with the one you are jumpoing from and
see if it starts!

Old June 21st 04, 07:23 PM
deadbeat

Old June 21st 04, 09:05 PM
Greg

"...
> Probably the battery is starting to go bad.

> > We have a purchased a 1998 Grand Caravan a few months ago and it's

giving
> us
> > starting trouble. I thought for sure the starter was gone (clicking, but

> not
> > turning over). I was testing it out tonight. We need to take it to a

shop
> > get new brakes and see what's up w/ it not starting. I tried jumping it

> off
> > of our other vehicle, but w/ the same results. Then, I just happend to

> look
> > and noticed that the hose going from the air intake and filter to the

> engine
> > was broken. Looks like someone has tried to rig it and place a piece of
> > tubing inside the broken hose. Well, somehow, the two pieces came apart.

> > rigged it back (but not w/ good success, as the hose is really busted

and
> > cracked) and lo and behold, after a couple of tries, the van started up.

> Can
> > that be the culprit? Is this a stupid ignorant question? :-) Please

help.
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Emanuel
> > --
> > crazyro

I don't think the two are related,
It's probably just the starter going bad, it causes an intermittent starting
problem, when the brushes
go bad, one time it will start, next time not, but if you keep turning the
key, usually it will start.
But it will get to a point where it won't turn over at all. ( I have read
about some people going
6-8 months with a intermittent starting problem before changing the starter)
---Greg--- (who just put a starter in
his '98 GC yesterday)

Old June 21st 04, 09:05 PM
Greg

"...

Old June 21st 04, 09:54 PM
crazyro

Greg,

You're right on the money. It was all a stupid coincidence. Took the van to
the shop and they're installing a new starter.
--
crazyro

"Greg" > wrote in message
> "...
> > Probably the battery is starting to go bad.

> > > We have a purchased a 1998 Grand Caravan a few months ago and it's

> giving
> > us
> > > starting trouble. I thought for sure the starter was gone (clicking,

but
> > not
> > > turning over). I was testing it out tonight. We need to take it to a

> shop
> > > get new brakes and see what's up w/ it not starting. I tried jumping

it
> > off
> > > of our other vehicle, but w/ the same results. Then, I just happend to

> > look
> > > and noticed that the hose going from the air intake and filter to the

> > engine
> > > was broken. Looks like someone has tried to rig it and place a piece

of
> > > tubing inside the broken hose. Well, somehow, the two pieces came

apart.
> > > rigged it back (but not w/ good success, as the hose is really busted

> and
> > > cracked) and lo and behold, after a couple of tries, the van started

up.
> > Can
> > > that be the culprit? Is this a stupid ignorant question? :-) Please

> help.
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Emanuel
> > > --
> > > crazyro

> I don't think the two are related,
> It's probably just the starter going bad, it causes an intermittent

starting
> problem, when the brushes
> go bad, one time it will start, next time not, but if you keep turning the
> key, usually it will start.
> But it will get to a point where it won't turn over at all. ( I have read
> about some people going
> 6-8 months with a intermittent starting problem before changing the

starter)
> ---Greg--- (who just put a starter

in