96 Jetta Engine Light ( question for woodchuck or anyone who can help )

Old March 2nd 05, 07:24 PM
Lee

Default 96 Jetta Engine Light ( question for woodchuck or anyone who can help )

I had my 96 Jetta converted from a Auto to a 5 Speed. They removed the TCM &
Jumped the Netural Safty switch. Now I've gotten it back and the Check
Engine Light is on.
This shop did not have the VAG or VW software. They hooked a Snap-On ODB2
machine to it and it gives off the fault code for the TCM. is there anything
I can do? If I take it to a shop with VAG can they turn off the option that
makes the computer look for a TCM? any suggestions?

Thank You in advance.

-Lee

Old March 7th 05, 12:02 PM
Woodchuck

From memory, some of them old ECU's had to be coded if they were a STD or
auto trans. Not sure if that would keep the light out in your issue or not.
Maybe someone here can check on ETKA and see if the same ECU is used with
boths transmissions. If not then you need to replace the ECU with correct
one.

Old March 7th 05, 06:10 PM
Lee

Hello Woodchuck, it's the same ECU , it's just looking for the TCM which is
not there anymore. I was told just have someone with a odb2 scanner plug in.
but that just tells code. I think what i need to do is find someone with VAG
soft in my area. anyone have vag soft in the Seattle area that reads this?

-Lee

.. .